• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bradley BS611 Newbie

Started by smokerator, October 13, 2013, 07:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerator

Greetings from Mike, Christie and Dudley from North Georgia

Well we're off and smoking.  Although I have been smoking for many years this is my first experience with a electric smoker. I already know I am going to love being part of the Bradley family.

Christie is my Fiancé and Dudley is our eight-year-old son. Actually Dudley is our 6 pound Yorkey. Just so you know Dudley does not think he is a DOG. NOR DOES CHRISTIE.

Christie got up early this morning and prepared her special rub.

Just put a 6 1/2 pound boneless pork loin in the smoker using Hickory.

I am now tasked with the timely chore of sitting here watching the smoker and drinking a few beers.

Now I need to talk Christie into making some of her awesome greens and homemade mac & cheese.

Today is going to be a great family day.

Can someone send me a link or tell me how I can add pictures to my post.

Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

KyNola

Hope you seasoned your Bradley first.

Here is a quick down and dirty explanation of how to post pics.  Open a photobucket account(it's free) and upload your pics there.  Once you upload them you will see a "IMG code" Copy the "IMG code" by right clicking on it.  Then go to the forum, open a thread and paste the "IMG code" in your post.  You can use the preview button to see if the pic is shown in your post.

smokerator

I sure did, I seasoned it Friday night.

Thanks for the info on how to post pictures.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

smokerator

Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

KyNola

smokerator

Well actually it's still working. Those are the before photos.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Saber 4

Welcome to the forum from Texas, nice looking family you have there. We have 2 adult kids and 3 Basset kids so I know where you're coming from on that. The food looks like it will be a big success, do you have a remote probe in it to keep an eye on the IT? Also my wife Judy is a quilter and the first thing she noticed in your picture was the sewing machine in the background and she wanted to know what Christie sews?

smokerator

That photo was taken at our cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains of north Georgia. Christies mom was a seamstress many years ago and she's showing Christie how to turn the sewing machine on. LOL. I do have a digital thermometer and I'm watching the IT.

Dudley and I have been sitting out on the back porch most of the day enjoying the beautiful weather and enjoying the smell of the Hickory. I told Christie that I have not been this relaxed for years. I am a lucky guy I have a great woman, our dog, and a Bradley smoker.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!

What part of North Georgia? I was born in Miami, Florida, went to High School in Elberton, Georgia, and now live in Pace, Florida (near Milton and Pensacola in the NW Florida Panhandle).

The Bradley is a great little smoker. The only electric smoker I have ever tried.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokerator

We living Acworth. One hour south of the Blue Ridge Mountains and one hour north of Atlanta. Prior to living here I lived in Florida. I lived in Florida for 20 years South of Orlando in a city called Sebring. And after that and before I moved to Georgia that I lived in South Florida. North Miami Beach.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Wildcat

I was in Helen and Hiawassee this past summer.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokerator

We'll here it is. And Christies homemade Mac and Cheese is about done.

Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Saber 4

Looks like you can chalk up a win!

smokerator

4 hours of hickory smoke. 9 hours total time in the smoker at about 190 to 200 degrees. Finished IT was 160. Rub was applied about and hour before it went in the smoker.

Pork was moist. Not a lot of rub flavor. And not a lot of smoke flavor.

I never opened the smoker from the time I put it in to the time I removed it. I noticed the water bowl was dry when I removed the pork.

I was was hoping for more smoke flavor and rub flavor.

Any suggestions?
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Saber 4

Suggestions, put the rub on the night before and wrap in plastic and into fridge, take out a couple hours before smoke time to come to room temp. Don't take the phrase "if you're looking you ain't cooking" to the exclusion of checking, at a minimum check your meat and replace the bowl with fresh very hot to boiling water after the smoke.

The amount of smoke is a subjective thing to each person, the prevailing thought around here is that after 4-5 hours the surface of the meat is to dry to absorb more smoke so most of us don't smoke more than that or spritz with apple juice or some other liquid every couple of hours of smoke. You will have to experiment with different woods and times to find what y'all like. I can't seem to get enough smoke for my wife, she has said either this is good or this is good but could use more smoke for everything I've done so far.

Other's with far more time and experience will be along to weigh in on any mistakes I have made and/or to give their preferred methods, choose the methods that make the most sense to your style, experiment and have fun