• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from Edmonton

Started by renoman, October 16, 2013, 06:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

Hi all, I am new to the forum although I have been reading and lurking for some time now. Got into sausage making awhile back and have been having real good success with fresh sausage but wanted to try smoking some. Went out and got myself a Bradley 4 rack digital a couple of weeks ago and tried my first batch this past weekend. I was very unsure of the curing method and since we do not have the same access to the cures called for in most recipes I decided to start out with a kit from Cabela's. It was a Beer Salami kit and it was pretty straight forward. The sausage turned out pretty good too. I halved the recipe and still made 11 pounds. My question is should I keep it in the fridge or freezer? It is in 2-1/2" mahogany casing and is currently in the fridge. I do have a vacuum sealer but should I freeze it?

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, I to have just gotten into doing sausages and smoked my first brats the other day. I vacuum sealed my brats and froze them but I don't know about the Salami kit's. If it's as good as some of the stuff I've tried 11lbs won't last long enough to make it to the freezer. I'm sure the experts will be along sometime today to give you a better answer than I can. There are a lot of sausage makers up your way that have found and posted Canadian sausage making supply companies that should be able to get you the right cure's #1 and #2. Once you can get your own cures and seasonings you will enjoy making your own recipes from here more than the kits from Cabelas, I know I am glad to be done with all the kit's I bought to get started.

ragweed

I always vac seal and freeze my sausage, any kind.  No problems.  I just have to be careful when vac sealing those in natural casings like brats.  I freeze them first in zip locks, then vac seal.  If I go directly to the vac sealer, it flattens the sausage.  BTW, welcome to the forum from Nebraska!

renoman

Going to try and post a few pics.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

beefmann

welcome aboard, there is  quite a  few sausage makers here,,,  enjoy

Saber 4

Nice Job, I had forgotten how shiny the Bradley is when it's new.

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

You can safely refrigerate for up to 14 days. If you are going to store it longer, it should go in the freezer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

renoman

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 16, 2013, 12:17:31 PM

So that brings up another question. How well should I be cleaning the Bradley? Of course I will clean anything that the food will touch and the drip pan but what about the door and inside walls?

tskeeter

Quote from: renoman on October 16, 2013, 03:32:15 PM

So that brings up another question. How well should I be cleaning the Bradley? Of course I will clean anything that the food will touch and the drip pan but what about the door and inside walls?

Renoman, I only clean the removable parts of my smoker after each use.  And, of course, scrape the build up off the feed chute of the smoke generator and blow out flakes from the pucks.

If I get some grease buildup on the walls or door, I'll wipe it down with a damp rag.  But, I've only done that once in the last year or so.

Otherwise, I just let it be until the seasoning starts to flake.  Then I brush down the flaking area with some crumpled foil, to knock off the loose flakes.   

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on October 16, 2013, 05:30:00 PM
Quote from: renoman on October 16, 2013, 03:32:15 PM

Renoman, I only clean the removable parts of my smoker after each use.  And, of course, scrape the build up off the feed chute of the smoke generator and blow out flakes from the pucks.

If I get some grease buildup on the walls or door, I'll wipe it down with a damp rag.  But, I've only done that once in the last year or so.

Otherwise, I just let it be until the seasoning starts to flake.  Then I brush down the flaking area with some crumpled foil, to knock off the loose flakes.

X2

Smokin Sparky

Welcome from Southwest Idaho.     ;D

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

renoman

Just one more thing before I move to another forum. I was really surprised how much the flavour of the salami improved after a couple of days. The recipe said to wait for 24 hours before cutting into it which I did. The wife and I were a little disappointed for all the work it was but after 2-1/2 days the stuff has really improved and is VERY tasty. Going to actually give some to my friends. I will make the second batch!

Saber 4

As you get to know your smoker you will find that some things like cheese, chex mix, and salt tend to be better with a little time to meld the flavors throughout.

manfromplaid

hey renoman  welcome  from another noob  was wondering how you were able to post your pics  not having any luck with that   photobucket won't accept canada postal code  thanks