Smoked cheese plan

Started by Roget, October 11, 2013, 05:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokermeister

Roget, you don't have to wait for temp to drop to cold smoke. I just put a frozen milk jug in the bottom of the smoker. You can also fill the bisquette bowl with mostly ice. I cold smoke in the summer in Vegas with no problem. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KyNola on October 12, 2013, 03:20:36 PM
I totally realize that I am pretty thick headed and a dumb ol' boy from Kentucky but can someone explain to me the difference in holding the cheese in the smoker at 70-75 degrees as opposed to simply turning the racks upside down, placing the smoked cheese on it and let it bloom for a couple of hours on the counter or table in your house where the temperature is also 70-75 degrees?

I'm a bit confused about this and certainly not an expert at smoking foods but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. :)

Along with Devo's excellent answer :), it is only 70 - 75°F in my home during the summer when I'm not smoking cheese. But if your house is at 70 -  75°F, you should use your counter top; if your relative humidity is not too low. Being a Yankee from up north, even in the summer time my house is rarely at that temperature when my cheese is finished smoking. And when I turn on my heat the house is at 68°F, and the humidity in the house is usuallay below 40% RH. The Bradley provides an excellent enclosed environment were you can control the heat, and the RH will not be too low. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roget

Thanx pokermeister.

I have read about using the ice.(actually I have read everthing I could find about smoking cheese)

I want to try my new Bradley adapter to see if I can control the temp using it & my PID.

After that I may try to cold  smoke  on a warmer day to see how that works out also.

YCDBSOYA

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 13, 2013, 01:50:06 AM
I totally realize that I am pretty thick headed and a dumb ol' boy from Kentucky but can someone explain to me the difference in holding the cheese in the smoker at 70-75 degrees as opposed to simply turning the racks upside down, placing the smoked cheese on it and let it bloom for a couple of hours on the counter or table in your house where the temperature is also 70-75 degrees?

I'm a bit confused about this and certainly not an expert at smoking foods but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. :)

Along with Devo's excellent answer :), it is only 70 - 75°F in my home during the summer when I'm not smoking cheese. But if your house is at 70 -  75°F, you should use your counter top; if your relative humidity is not too low. Being a Yankee from up north, even in the summer time my house is rarely at that temperature when my cheese is finished smoking. And when I turn on my heat the house is at 68°F, and the humidity in the house is usuallay below 40% RH. The Bradley provides an excellent enclosed environment were you can control the heat, and the RH will not be too low.
And that is a reasonable explanation.  Hadn't considered the "Yankee" factor. ;)  Just kidding but I had not considered that homes in the North might not be at those temperatures.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sailor

Larry I am with you on this one.  In South Florida I have to wait until this time of year to be able to smoke any cheese.  Last week it got down to 80 and I did a load.  Smoked with 2 hours of Cherry with cabinet temp of 90 and then brought them inside to bloom and the house temp was 78.  I'll be danged if I am going to run the AC to get the temp down to 70.  But as usual I most like am doing it all wrong anyway.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.