Hot smoked cheese???

Started by Roget, November 04, 2013, 01:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

Do any of you hot smoke cheese?

I was talking to a man yesterday about smoking, & he mentioned that he always smokes his cheese at about 150F or higher.

He puts his cheese on a tray, smokes it, it melts & forms a sheet in  the tray. When it cools & hardens he cuts it into squares & eats it right away.
He says it is great.

Has anyone tried a process like this? 
YCDBSOYA

ragweed

Haven't done it, but it's worth a try for sure.  Especially the "eat it right away" part!  Thanks for posting.

Saber 4

Sounds interesting, let us know how it turns out.

Has anyone successfully smoked a block of velveeta? I'm thinking that would make one heck of a cheese dip.

devo

OK. You give it a try and please video the part about eat right away :)
I would love to see this part lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

KyNola

In my older smokers, Brinkmann Bullet, etc I could take a block of cheese, make a foil "boat" and place the cheese in the boat and smoke.  It would melt and then solidify when removed from the smoker.  It could be eaten immediately.  Not sure that would work very well in a Bradley though.  I would be afraid of the ashtray taste.

ragweed

Okay.  So who's gonna try it?  I can't today but maybe Wed or Thurs.

pensrock

I think Curt hot smokes his cheese.

QuoteHas anyone successfully smoked a block of velveeta?
I have smoked velveeta many times. Just need to keep the smoker a little cooler than when doing regular cheese.

iceman

I'm with KyNola on this one. I'd expect the ashtray taste.  :o  ;D

Wildcat

Quote from: iceman on November 05, 2013, 09:57:43 AM
I'm with KyNola on this one. I'd expect the ashtray taste.  :o  ;D

Same here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Sailor

10.5 has some experience with Hot smoked cheese.......Just sayin  ;D

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 30, 2013, 06:35:19 AM
Too much Heat = Cheesecicles!! Be prepared and plan for a mess in the BCS. Just say'n

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pokermeister

I have smoked velveeta several times. Works best when you cut a 2lb block lengthwise. Usually I smoke it with hickory, for about 2 hours with my AMZNPS. It is ready to eat in about 3 weeks. Also, you can smoke cream cheese, just make sure the temp stays below 80. Ready in about 2 weeks. Both of these softer cheeses take smoke real well. The velveeta is phenomenal with rotel in a dip, or made as a grilled cheese sandwich. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

ragweed

Well, here goes.  2 x 16 oz medium cheddar just hit the smoker @ 150F.  Gonna do 2 hrs of Special Blend.  Don't want to waste my Apple pucks.

Updates as they happen!!

Saber 4

Quote from: pokermeister on November 07, 2013, 08:38:00 AM
I have smoked velveeta several times. Works best when you cut a 2lb block lengthwise. Usually I smoke it with hickory, for about 2 hours with my AMZNPS. It is ready to eat in about 3 weeks. Also, you can smoke cream cheese, just make sure the temp stays below 80. Ready in about 2 weeks. Both of these softer cheeses take smoke real well. The velveeta is phenomenal with rotel in a dip, or made as a grilled cheese sandwich. Hope this helps.

With the Rotel's was exactly what I was thinking when I asked about it, will have to pick up some next trip to the store.

Joe, I'm watching to see how it turns out, good luck

ragweed

Joe, I'm watching to see how it turns out, good luck
[/quote]

Well, it "turned out".  I'll post the whole story after supper in "Cheeses" so as not to clutter this one.