Fire in box

Started by ronf, October 29, 2013, 07:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronf

Hello everybody.  I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

The pork butt I was smoking caught fire and now the box won't get past 125 degrees.  I think I saw a thread about a similar situation but I can't seem to find it.  If any of you fine gentlemen (or ladies) could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and kids are having rib withdrawal...as am I.

Love the forum. 

Thanks

Ron

GusRobin

If it was the old OBS, I would assume that you probably tripped the heat sensor fuse.  But I am not sure if the new OBS has one.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Ron;

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned it is probably the high temperature sensor that tripped. I'm sure your model will have one. Look inside at the back panel. About the height of the second rack rail from the top you should see a small disc about the size of a quarter. If it has been exposed to too much heat you will probably have to replace it. You can try placing an ice cube on the disc, if it is just stuck the ice may be able to reset it.

Since there was a fire inside the smoker you should also check the wiring around the heating element, to see if that has been damaged.

Did you discover the cause of the fire, so that you can prevent this from happening again?

1 - Follow Bradley's guideline about emptying and replenishing the water bowl.
2 - Make sure the meat is not touching the walls.
3 - Make sure the Drip Tray (V-Tray) is installed, and properly positioned.
4 - Make sure the drain hole in the Drip Tray is not clogged. On long cooked with fatty meats such as butts, you may have to scrap the Drip Tray to unclog the hole, at some point during the cook. I use a 2" wide metal putty knife.

If There's A Fire In The Bradley

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ronf

Thanks so much Habanero and Gus.

The meat was an especially fatty piece, so the tray must have been clogged.

Thanks for the lessons, very much appreciated.

Do I purchase the new part(s) directly from Bradley or are there distributors that carry them?  I live in the Indianapolis area if that matters.

Thanks again.

Ron 

GusRobin

I know of 2 places. (1) Bradley direct or (2) Yard and Pool (http://www.yardandpool.com/.
Depending on what you are buying, either one may have a lower price.
I would also call Bradley customer service and talk to the tech folks and see what they recommend you check.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ronf

Great!  Thanks so much for the advice guys.

Sorry to have bothered you, I simply could not find the similar thread.

Much appreciation. I'm sure other lurkers feel as I do.

Happy Smoking.

Ron

Habanero Smoker

Answering questions is not any bother. This forum is a great place to find answers, and share ideas.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ronf

Habanero,

I understand what you are saying.  However, I've asked questions on other forums from home brewing to kite making that turned into posters(not me)wanting to fight with each other.  I knew, after lurking here for a number of years, I could ask a question without being made a fool.

Let's face it, meat smokers are a different breed. We like old friends, new friends, helping people, and the camaraderie that goes with it.

So with that said Habanero, thanks to you and all the other posters that I've learned so much from.

Ron

ronf

Oops.  Forgot one thing:  We like to feed people too!

Parts on the way.

Thanks all.

Habanero Smoker

I hope you get you smoker up and running soon.

Quote from: ronf on October 30, 2013, 03:06:22 PM

I understand what you are saying.  However, I've asked questions on other forums from home brewing to kite making that turned into posters(not me)wanting to fight with each other....

Though not as frequently as most forums, that can occasionally happen on this forum also. :) ;D But it generally won't be allowed to get out of hand. :) ;D ;D Brian; the administrator; will pretty much enforce the forum policies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.