• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Pastrami and Corned Beef

Started by mybad, November 02, 2013, 02:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

Finally got around to making a couple pastrami's and a corned beef.

I used the "pickle/brine" method "Beef Pastrami" from the recipe site. I left them in for 5 days. Rinsed, and soaked for an hour.

The pastrami's coated and in the fridge overnight, smoked them to 160, wrapped, and in the the fridge again for a couple days, then steamed them both [also from the recipe site]
Can't begin to tell you how good this was, a definite thing to ad to your list!

Then the corned beef. I had this in the fridge a couple days as well.
Used a roasting pan, with a bed of carrots, celery, onions, and a good helping of pickling spice, and a good amount of beef stock. Covered, and into the oven @225 for about 10-12 hrs.

Sorry no finished product picks...but I will never buy another store bought again!

Anyway, it was a fun thing to do, everyone enjoyed it, so that's a win!

MB

Saber 4

Looks good, it's always good to add another item to the "pass that aisle in the store" list.

pikeman_95

Looks great. the Pastrami looks very lean. I bet it would make a fantastic Rubin Sammy.
KC

Habanero Smoker

The pastrami looks really good. What cut of beef did you use?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

looks great on both corned beef and pastrami...

KyNola

Dano

That looks fantastic...now my mouth is watering.  :)  Definitely will add this to the list of 'must try before the holidays'.   
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

mybad

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 03, 2013, 02:15:11 AM
The pastrami looks really good. What cut of beef did you use?

I used a brisket flat, fairly trimmed up from the butcher, and I picked up a second flat that had a good amount of fat on it, for the pastrami.

The "fatty" one was really good, the trimmed up one was good, but seemed to lack some tenderness. I steamed the fatter one a bit longer as well.

The corned beef was a whole packer, I cut the point off [or tried anyway] now this was something I did not expect to be so good. The flavor was beyond my expectations for sure.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the feedback. I had trouble identifying the cut.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)