13.25 lb packer...

Started by squish, November 04, 2013, 04:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squish

Done the Pachanga way. This was a Friday night smoke. Since it was my first packer in the BDS I figured that I would go by the 1.5-2 hours per lb formula, but ultimately relying on the IT for doneness.

has been rubbed...

and is resting nicely in the smoker waiting for our guests. Should be about a 24 hour smoke....

Well it wasn't the 24 hours I expected. The temp alarm went off at about 4 am. Only 13 hours to reach an internal temp of 190°. It's now been FTC'd (wrapped in foil, and towels, and sitting in a cooler) to rest for the next few hours.

rested, sliced and ready to serve.......for breakfast.

Tender and juicy it was.

ragweed

I've got a brisket in the freezer waiting to be turned into pastrami, but after seeing this, you changed my mind.  Looks great and I bet tasted better!  Good job!

beefmann

Saber 4

Pachanga

That is a righteous looking bark.

It almost looks like a giant burnt end (a good thing) and nice and juicy on the inside.  Tender to boot.

Looks like the perfect combination of temperature, time and humidity.

Well done, Bud.  And nice use of the bend to fit that big boy in the smoker.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

squish

Quote from: Pachanga on November 09, 2013, 01:20:09 AM
That is a righteous looking bark.

It almost looks like a giant burnt end (a good thing) and nice and juicy on the inside.  Tender to boot.

Looks like the perfect combination of temperature, time and humidity.

Well done, Bud.  And nice use of the bend to fit that big boy in the smoker.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Pachanga,

All of the credit goes to you on this one. After all it was your method and your rub that went into it. About the only thing I did different was added a lovely Shiner Bock to the water pan.