Modding a BS611

Started by houlster, November 10, 2013, 07:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houlster

I don't have a diagram.  I followed the instructions with the PID for what goes where.   I spliced into the brown power wire coming out of the switch to power the PID and to the SSR.  Other side of the SSR is spliced into the red wire going to the socket for the tower.

My PID controlled SSR & the standard output from the dial are wired in parallel.  It's actually a pretty simplistic install.  No cross-over switch to select the SSD OR the dial or anything like that.  Like I mentioned before, I think leaving the standard dial temp controller in even with the heating element upgrade will be fine, but haven't tested it yet.

I'll try to pull the cover back off this weekend to get some more detailed pics.

--Dan

houlster

Quote from: houlster on November 28, 2013, 08:13:25 PM
Quote from: TedEbear on November 27, 2013, 03:39:57 PM
Check the micro switch. 

Thanks.  Took a look at that but it's a non-starter for the 611.  Mine doesn't have a microswitch.  It uses some type of magnetic or hall-effect type sensor.  It has a U - shaped sensor and the end of the feeder arm stops in the middle of it.   For now, I'm gonna pull the cover back off and re-check all the connectors & see what happens.

Just to update this, my problem was the U-shaped sensor mentioned.  I replaced that and it's been working fine.  Also, I picked up a dedicated 12 ga extension cord for it & it's made a substantial difference in keeping the temp up, but I'm still having low temp issues (though not nearly as severe) with some things.  Still planning on the element upgrade.

--Dan

StoonSmoker

Quote from: houlster on January 09, 2014, 11:33:58 AM
I don't have a diagram.  I followed the instructions with the PID for what goes where.   I spliced into the brown power wire coming out of the switch to power the PID and to the SSR.  Other side of the SSR is spliced into the red wire going to the socket for the tower.

My PID controlled SSR & the standard output from the dial are wired in parallel.  It's actually a pretty simplistic install.  No cross-over switch to select the SSD OR the dial or anything like that.  Like I mentioned before, I think leaving the standard dial temp controller in even with the heating element upgrade will be fine, but haven't tested it yet.

I'll try to pull the cover back off this weekend to get some more detailed pics.

--Dan

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I didn't think creating a new thread just to post a link back to this thread would make sense...

Anyways, I have the same smoker as Houlster. He hasn't been online since 2015, but hopefully somebody else who is familiar with the wiring on the new BS611 can chime in.

I have the Inkbird PTC-106VH PID and have a question about the output wire for the SSR. Should I clip the red wire coming from the Bradley control box that runs to the AC OUT plug, and replace it with the switched AC wire from the SSR?

OR

Leave the red wire between the control box and the AC OUT plug intact, but add a piggyback spade connector on the switched AC wire so the red wire output from the control box still connects to the same pin on the AC OUT plug?

StoonSmoker

Just to follow up on my last post, in case anybody else ends up modding their BS611 to have digital temp control and a second heating element...

I ended up using a piggyback spade connector on the red wire from the control box to the AC OUT connector, and attached the OUTPUT wire from the SSR.

This way, if the SSR is set to a low temp, but the user wants to adjust temperature with the dial on the front of the Bradley controller, they can. If they want to control temperature digitally via the Inkbird, leave the control dial set to low on the front of the Bradley controller, and set the desired temp with the Inkbird controller.

Pretty happy with how mine turned out. Need to add a fan now to help push heat around!

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a nice setup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)