Brisket Information

Started by JohnM70, November 18, 2013, 02:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

A friend of mine was over the other day and I offered some of my brisket for a snack, after counting my fingers, I rhetorically asked if he liked it. His answer was, "when can we  ::) smoke some more".  When I smoked my brisket I took some of the techniques I used with my pork butts i.e. I coated the brisket with molasses to keep the rub from falling off the meat then coated the rub with mustard. I did press the rub into the meat.  After reading Pachanga's post again I am wondering if the mustard did any good, although the bark was great, any comments? When I sliced the brisket I tried to cut as thin a slice as possible but it did not work very well. My knife was sharp. I cut some a little thicker than I wanted for immediate consumption as well as later snacks.  The rest I cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces vacuum sealed and froze. I am on the last batch so I must do something soon.
Now for my question if after the FTC process I cut a 6+ inch piece and allow it to cool then put in the refrigerator or freezer for a short time. The rest I will do as before and cut into 2/3 inch pieces and freeze. With the larger piece a little firmer I should be able to achieve very thin slices 1/8 inch. I do have an almost commercial 12 inch meat slicer. So that should not be an issue trying to get thin slices. The other option would be to FTC the brisket at 180 IT but I am not enthused about that. 
My previous brisket post is in this topic.

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

Saber 4

If I understood your question correctly you can cool the meat and then refrigerate overnight or put in the freezer for a while. I have put smoked pork loin in the freezer to firm up after it cooled down to be able to slice it thinner on my 9" slicer and it worked good, I was able to get either thin slices or shaved if I wanted it. I don't' think warm meat slices very well on a meat slicer. I have been advised to let my bacon sit overnight in the fridge before cutting and to put GB jerky wafer chubs in the freezer turning often to get them almost frozen to make slicing easier and it has worked well for me.

JohnM70

Thank you Saber, that was the question. I knew warm meat was an issue but I was not sure if I would run into problems cooling some of the brisket down. Problem one solved.

Many thanks

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

Pachanga

John,

Sounds like you already have all the success one needs with brisket.  You ask about mustard.  I don't know if this will answer you question but I'll give it a whirl.

I posted a thread on mustard slather (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0 )  relating the science behind mustard's properties and their reaction with brisket.  In it I wrote, "Mustard is made of mustard flour, vinegar and other ingredients.  Science tells us that the enzymes in the mustard flour breaks down collagen that acts as connective tissue in meats.  Vinegar is an acid.  When exposed to acid collagen is softened to gelatin.  The collagen fibers exhibit swelling and retain more water. This opens the meat up to accept the flavors of the rub.  Therefore, mustard slather reacts with meat using two distinct properties; enzymes and acids.  The slather also aids in moisture retention and flavor absorption.  This produces a flavorful, moist and tender meat.  At the same time, it produces a nice crust or bark on the meat.  This stuff sounds like a miracle drug for a Q'er." 

Science and taste of the final product convince me that this is a very good addition to brisket as well as other meats. Thousands of other smokers, much more accomplished than me, consider this a staple in their arsenal for smoking brisket.  For those who have not used a mustard slather and are confused or nervous about trying it, take a lesson from some Legends of Barbeque.

Fort Worth, Texas pit boss legend Walter Jetton put on a little barbeque for 250 at the LBJ (President Johnson)  Pedernales Ranch, Texas in 1964.  Besides calling for a pit 3 foot deep, 4 feet wide and 40 feet long, his beef stock mop contained ¾ cup dry mustard and 2 quarts vinegar (sounds like mustard to me).  The meat was brisket.  Jim Goode, another Texas legend, calls for mustard in his rub and mop for brisket.  Paul Kirk, one of the most awarded Q'ers ever, devotes an entire chapter in one of his books to Mustard slathers which are used on his competition brisket, ribs and chicken.

I personally notice a much more defined bark when using mustard on brisket, ribs and butt.

Use mustard, don't use mustard, rub it, slap it or cook it in a crockpot.  How you like it is how you should do it.  In the Bradley, I do not want to open the door until the temperature is up due to the slow heat recovery.  I do not use a mop until the bark sets up.  The mustard acts as a thick, long term mop to protect the meat.  I think it is especially beneficial in the Bradley.  As you may have noticed, many on this board have tried mustard on brisket.  Those who have reported back usually seem to have great success.

Bottom line, I would use the mustard slather but try a half and half on a brisket and see for yourself.

Regarding freezing, I vac pac whole or in thirds for portion consumption. 

If a brisket falls apart when sliced, it may be slightly over on the IT.  I have good luck using a very sharp non serrated knife.  Try a santoku or some like an electric.  If it still falls apart, try slicing a little less perpendicular to the grain for very thin slices; adding five or ten degrees - more as necessary up to thirty.  There will be a little more structure to hold the meat together but the thin slice will not make for stringy brisket.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

JohnM70

Thanks Pachanga, that will work. If I understood it does not madder if the mustard is on the meat first or on top of the rub.

Thanks

John

Pachanga

I sprinkle and pat the rub on first with some fingertip or palm pressure so it is adhered tightly.  Then I gently pat the slather on.  Some like to use the slather as a glue and sprinkle the rub on top of that.  Whatever makes you feel good.

I place an inverted rack in the sink.  Place the rack to be used on top of that.  Sprinkle and slather.  Flip and situate the brisket as needed.  Rub and slather the other side.  Pick the rack straight up and place in the Bradley.

This way there is very little surface area contacting the finished bottom.  I lose very little rub and slather this way.   If doing several, I line the sink with foil.  Any caught drippings are used on the next brisket.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga