71 lbs of Boston butts

Started by dirt1008, August 21, 2013, 05:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt1008

Ended up going with 130lbs and it turned out awesome. I used the sassafras about 2 hrs then hickory and apple the rest of the time.

cathouse willy

what were you cooking this in? How many bradley 4 racks would it take to cook 130 lbs?

dirt1008

Quote from: cathouse willy on November 09, 2013, 07:43:29 PM
what were you cooking this in? How many bradley 4 racks would it take to cook 130 lbs?
I borrowed a smoker a guy at work built. It's on a trailer, it's basically a large tank made into a grill and then a smaller fire box mounted on the side. Just adjust the slide to allow more air and then the temp goes up, slide it closed and the temp goes down. Since the box provides heat and smoke we had to put the buts in foil pans and after we got our smoke we covered the meat so it would cook without over smoking.

kdunla

How did the amount of raw meat figured per person work out and what size servings were being plated?  Thanks!

dirt1008

Ended up with 130 lbs raw meat and only about 70 people showed up. This was a lot of big guys and I'm not sure how many sandwiches each ate, but ended up having 10 1 gallon freezer bags full left over.

Saber 4

Quote from: dirt1008 on November 17, 2013, 03:42:08 PM
Ended up with 130 lbs raw meat and only about 70 people showed up. This was a lot of big guys and I'm not sure how many sandwiches each ate, but ended up having 10 1 gallon freezer bags full left over.

Sounds like a big success with just enough left over to serve a small gathering.

kdunla

Thanks for the info.  The good news is that you have lots of great left overs then.