Apple Butter

Started by jiggerjams, November 10, 2013, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Hey troops! Anyone make it? How do you know when it is done? I understand to heap a spoonful on a plate and look for water separation but can you tell by looking at the pot if I am close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenpoint5

Wish I could help more. I think it is supposed to coat the back of a spoon
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gafala

A small bit spooned onto a chilled (in the freezer) plate will be thick, not runny.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

devo

Too thick?  if the apple butter cooks down too much or is too thick for your liking, just add a little bit of apple juice and blend it in.

Not thick enough? Just let it cook some more, with the lid off so the steam can escape!

jiggerjams

Thanks so much boys!

iceman

Another trick I learned is to have a large loaf of French bread hot out of the oven near by. That way if it's to thick or to thin you just smear it all over the bread and eat the evidence !  ;D

Saber 4

Quote from: iceman on November 12, 2013, 11:20:56 AM
Another trick I learned is to have a large loaf of French bread hot out of the oven near by. That way if it's to thick or to thin you just smear it all over the bread and eat the evidence !  ;D

I likes the way you thinks :D

standles

I always look at how it coats the spoon.   

Second test is the chilled plate.

Third test is can I get it canned before everyone eats it.  :o

Also...   I used to do the pot watch and stir thing.  This year I put it all in a corckpot and let it simmer on low for 8hours.   Way less work and worry about scorching and no dicernable difference in taste or asthetics.

Steven

Jacktucky

My in-laws church makes it every year by hand over a wood fire.  Crockpot is a good idea

jiggerjams

All worked out. Thank you. According to recipe I ended up with a third more than I should have. Would have been too sweet if I did in my opinion. Cheers!