• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Finally got the chance to try Kummok's salmon method

Started by pz, December 02, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

Thanksgiving day is one of two holidays that are filled with an over abundance of food for us (the words "food coma" come to mind).  In addition to a turkey (which did not turn out well), we did salmon shipped to us from a friend in Sitka Alaska (he owns a commercial fishing boat and has extra).  Have been wanting to do a version of salmon candy for a while, and finally got the time on T-day to try a slight variation on Kummok's recipe.

Used the Auber dual probe to control the Bradley...

... marinaded fish - troll-caught coho...

... after a couple of days in the marinade, developed a pellicle for 24 or so hours...

... the finished fish - like candy - smoky, sweet, spicy, full of salmon goodness

My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

That's a nice friend to have, that salmon looks tasty, tasty, tasty.... Sorry to hear you had problems with the turkey, were there any lessons learned on what not to do that we might learn from?

pz

Thanks Saber, yes it is nice to have a friend like that.

I did the turkey on the SRG, and I think it is only operator error.  Brined for 24+ hours, then injected, and into the SRG on high.  I'm using a Thermoworks unit with the ultra thin probe to measure temperature, and did so in several places on the breast, and on the thigh and leg.  I must just not be using it correctly because the temps seemed okay (160F in the breast, and 170F in the thigh) but maybe I was too close to the bone.  The result was disappointing - just about raw close to the core of the bird, but most of the breast was really good - in fact, I've not personally done any that had better moisture and flavor.  I had to finish everything but the breasts in the oven.  I'm thinking next time to do on low to give it more time to deep cook

The bird done - sort of...

Saber 4

I had the opposite probe placement problem on my turkey, I thought I had it in a good place got the IT to 120 in the Bradley with smoke then into the SRG that's when the temp started to rise then seemed to stall while the bird was looking pretty done. So I pulled the basket up and took readings in the breast and thigh with my instant read and the temps were at 178 in the thigh and 175 in the breasts so I pulled it and it was all done the way I wanted. At least it is a fixable problem and not a total loss.

pz

Sounds like you had a good experience - next time I'm going to start the bird in a Traeger to get a bit of smoke and warm the turkey, then finish it to get the crisp skin in the SRG

All is good - everything is a learning experience  ;)

tskeeter

PZ, some of my reading on turkey preparation indicated that at lower breast IT's (I don't remember if they were talking 160 or 165) you could see some pinkish juice.  I can't quite deal with the pink, so I push the IT of the breast to 170 when I smoke turkey breast.  Gives me just a little firmer texture to the meat and I don't see meat that looks slightly under cooked against the ribs.  Since I've been using "enhanced" breasts, (Butterball seems to be the only brand available in the large stores around here), the meat is plenty juicy.  I've been far enough ahead of dinner time that I've FTC'ed the breast, and I find there is about 1/3 cup of juice in the foil when I go to carve the turkey. 

OldHickory

pz your salmon looks great.  That is a good recipe.  As for the turkey, smoke/cook your turkey in the Bradley first for as much smoke taste as you want.  Then put the turkey in the SRG to finish.  I always finish the turkey or chicken in the SRG on low with the lid down the total time.  I use the Mav. to monitor the temp in the SRG.  This has always given me great results.  The SRG basket will just fit in your Bradley so no need to transfer.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

pz

Thanks gents - good tips for my next try.  I suspect it will just take a bit of practice

Quote from: OldHickory on December 05, 2013, 01:45:23 PM
The SRG basket will just fit in your Bradley so no need to transfer.

Good idea about the basket - definitely makes it an advantage to use the Bradley over the Traeger - thanks

Quote from: tskeeter on December 03, 2013, 08:51:44 AM
...  I can't quite deal with the pink, so I push the IT of the breast to 170 when I smoke turkey breast.  Gives me just a little firmer texture to the meat and I don't see meat that looks slightly under cooked against the ribs... 

My wife is the same, and I too prefer not to see the pink