Smoking in a garage

Started by troutbug, December 28, 2013, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireguy06

It's gunna be awhile building a new house in the spring so trying to figure out what to do in the new garage live in iowa and in the winter I like to smoke but can't when it's so damn cold out or windy
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

Dano

Living in Ontario it can get cold and since I have the cold-smoke adapter I wanted to take full advantage.  All I do for winter smoking(hot or cold) is went to Home Depot and got a 5 inch to 3 inch dryer vent converter and fastened some flexible aluminum pipe to it.  Duct taped the 5 inch to the top of the smoker but left a spot untapped so I could move the Bradley damper, then I just brought the aluminum dryer pipe out the garage door and taped it to the soffetting.  Easy to put up, easy to take down - voila!  No smoke in the garage.  Chimney cost all of $20 and is portable.  Doesn't look the best but who's outside other than the snow shovellers and die-hard outdoorsmen/smoker enthusiasts when it's -25F.  :D
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

wipf9994

Only solution I came up with is from this

To this

tailfeathers

Hey Wipf looks like your build is done? Looking forward to some action shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

wipf9994

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 07, 2014, 10:41:14 AM

Yes it's done. Have been seasoning it n was gonna throw some jerky in there to smoke but it's been too cold to go outside.

tailfeathers

Quote from: wipf9994 on January 07, 2014, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: tailfeathers on January 07, 2014, 10:41:14 AM

Yes it's done. Have been seasoning it n was gonna throw some jerky in there to smoke but it's been too cold to go outside.
Ya think?

wipf9994

I thought about it. Lol

tailfeathers

Did some salmon on Saturday while it was still in the single digits above zero. My smoker is pretty well sheltered so it wasn't to bad once I got things rolling. Mid thirties this weekend, woo hoo! I'll be fishing though so my smoker will just have to be lonesome.

wipf9994

I'm gonna have to be makin up some missed work this weekend. Where u goin fishing?

tailfeathers

NE part of the state. My son is in town from CO and wants to of some ice fishing while he's back.

wipf9994

Trying out new smoker.

Saber 4

Looks like that ought to handle a few smoking marathons.

wipf9994

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 12, 2014, 01:22:01 PM
Looks like that ought to handle a few smoking marathons.

there's lots of room and very well insulated. I'm impressed how well it holds heat