• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Polish Saturday

Started by GusRobin, December 07, 2013, 02:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Doing my Christmas cooking. Made pierogi (polish dumplings) a couple of weeks ago. This week I am making golabki (stuffed cabbage) and some kielbasa.
First the golabki. Put heads of cabbage in a pot of water and brought water to a boil. Turned it off and covered and left for about 9 hrs. Fried up some salt pork and onions. The "family" recipe calls for ground beef, but I make some Italian sausage, mix it with a bit of Jimmy Dean's sage sausage. Mix the salt pork, onions, sausage, and cooked white rice. I put it in the fridge overnight. This morning I took the cabbage and peeled off the leaves. Then take a sharp knife and trim off the thick leaf "vein". Stuff the leaf with some of the meat/rice mix and roll tightly. Put in a roaster pan, cover with diced tomatoes and cover and put in the oven at 300* for about 6 hours.
PICs
Salt pork and onions

Line the roaster pan with some of the cabbage.

Leaves stuffed, rolled and in the pan.

The pan is full. Covered with a can of diced tomatoes and juice and salt pork skin, and a layer of cabbage leaves.

In the covered pan and in the oven for a long slow cook.

Kielbasa
Stuffed and hanging in the Bradley. My SG has been acting up. (Needs a cleaning) So I used the small Amazin smoker.

After the smoke, I put it in a water bath until an IT of 155*.

Out of the water bath, then into a ice bath, now hanging to bloom.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JZ

Looks great. I would love some of that stuff for my Christmas dinner.

Saber 4

They both look great, my wife loves cabbage rolls so I will have to try making these soon, she'll want them with the GB though. Is the recipe posted somewhere? or is it a family secret.

pensrock

My mom always made pigs (stuffed cabbage rolls) but she always used regular tomato soup to cook them in. They were always very good. I made some a few times and once did not have any tomato soup so used diced tomatoes and the taste was very much the same. a little different but very close. I have never heard of anyone using sausage for the filling but think it would be good as well.  :)

pikeman_95

Gus
Thanks for the reminder. I think I am going to have to make a batch of cabbage rolls. It reminds me of my mom's cooking. Your pigs in a blanket look great. What recipe did you use for the kielbasa?
KC

GusRobin

the one in the recipe site from Mr Walleye
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

SiFumar

Looks fantastic!  What time is dinner? Or did I miss it? :(

GusRobin

Quote from: SiFumar on December 08, 2013, 04:03:31 PM
Christmas day at about 4:00pm

SiFumar

Quote from: GusRobin on December 08, 2013, 04:06:44 PM

Do you freeze the cabbage rolls until then?  Dang I wish I could be there!

pikeman_95

Gus
I was guessing you might have used that one. It seems rather popular. By the way I have a batch of cabbage rolls in the oven. I went into the fridge to get a snack and after looking around in there I seemed to have most of the ingredients in there. I did a little substitution as usual. I had some German frankfurters that I minced up and mixed with a pound of venison burger add a little boiled rice mixed it all up and made the cabbage rolls. I smothered the rolls with Vertolli Tomato and basil sauce. It looks good I just hope they taste alright. I have been thinking about those things ever since I saw your batch.
KC

GusRobin

Quote from: SiFumar on December 08, 2013, 04:10:34 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on December 08, 2013, 04:06:44 PM

Do you freeze the cabbage rolls until then?  Dang I wish I could be there!
yes I freeze them

SiFumar

Thanks...will try freezing them.