New to Smoking

Started by christoff, November 28, 2013, 05:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christoff

hi there,

my names Chris and I've never smoked before...I recently got the OBS 4 rack and just purchased the single probe auber Bradley controller. I've still never fired it up. I keep in in a non heater shed and was wondering if I should have a heater of some sort in there?
I live in Alberta Canada so the winters get quite fierce. Should I be considering the duel heating element mod? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here as I tend to do..What would be a good thing to start out smoking, something easy:)
all in all, I'm thrilled there's such a great online community to help. Thanks :)

GusRobin

Smoking in a non-heated shed is fine. It is the wind that is your "enemy". I would wait to do a few smokes and learn your Bradley before ding the 2nd element mod. ( I say that but I moded mine right after I seasoned it.

Chicken is always an easy cook. But keep your vent wide open with poultry as they produce a lot of moisture.

If you have the time, pork butts are very forgiving.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NorthShoreMN

Welcome from N E Minnesota. Chicken, pork shoulder(long cook time) pork tenderloin all good.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  Like they said, chicken is a good starter but be aware that the skin will not crisp-up in a Bradley because the temps aren't high enough.  Tastes wonderful though.  If you want crisp skin, throw it on the grill for a few when it's done in the Bradley.

manfromplaid

welcome from another albertan  i am using my 4 rack in the cold   i but it in a small garden shed and added a small heater so i did'nt freeze me   out of the wind the temp will get up and stay (so far)  good luck