Howdy from Oregon!

Started by dave97402, December 13, 2013, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave97402

Guys I just wanted to say hello and say thank you! I have been smoking meats for quite a while now with a Char Grill side box style smoker. I was lucky enough to know a guy in "the business" when I started so I got great advice and instruction to start out. Of course it take a lot of time tending to the fire and meat to get a good product. After visiting a friend in Cape Cod during my vacation who is a competition smoker out there, I got the hankering to get a electric smoker. Checking websites, reviews and such I had decided to get a Bradley. I was just about to pull the plug and get one when I mentioned it at work. A gal told me her husband had a Bradley but it didn't work....if I wanted it I could have and see what I could do. Well at this point I had been reading your site here. I find these types of forum are awesome for getting information about a product....upgrades....problems...etc. So I had a pretty good idea what it may be.

I got the smoker last week, it is I believe the Original Black smoker, 4 shelf. I was going to get the 6 shelf and may still later. I got it home....checked the connections common to failing. Took the smoker unit apart...cleaned it. Had to remove the puck advance button and clean up that hole to get the button to quit sticking. Put back together and the puck advance works, plate heats up...sweet. But no heat from the element. All lights worked, fuse was good so from reading the odds were it was the element. I almost just went with either a double element mod or higher wattage, but figured...just get a stock replacement and see how you like it. So...to Yard and Pools I went, ordered and element. Got it the other day and installed it....turned it on and tested everything.....wow...it works perfect! haha

So this weekend I will smoke up some ribs and see how it goes. It is a very nice little unit and am looking forward to a little bit less hassle smoking!

Thanks for all that have put their experience and suggestions on this site!

Dave
Eugene, Oregon

Shasta bob

Welcome from Central Point, Oregon
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, I love deals that work out good like that. :)

tailfeathers

Hello there from South Dakota. Welcome, your gonna love it here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

beefmann

hello and  welcome aboard from so calif

tskeeter

Geez, a Bradley for the $35 cost of a heating element and cleaning things up?  Such as deal!  Are you going to fess up that it was a few pretty easy fixes, or are you going to talk about having to re-engineer the smoker generator cover, circuit test all of the electrics, identify and replace parts that had failed, and do a complete PM  service on the entire unit?

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

dave97402

Tskeeter

Nope....I just plugged it in. Lights came on but no element....SG worked but needed cleaning....that was it. Not horribly dirty or anything. Racks and such were clean.....rest is just well seasoned.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  Ask her if her husband has anything else that "doesn't work".

UncleAl

Welcome from Michigan - sure wish I could find a deal like that  :)

mwilliams7967

Welcome from southeastern PA! Your gonna love this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiFumar

Welcome!  Great deal you got there!  Come back and show us smoke of your smokes...we like pictures!  :)

sage03

Welcome from North Carolina!!Good job on the easy fix for the smoker...got to love when things work out so well plus it saved you a few $$ to put toward the DBS later. P.S. i love Ore. and especially your wines!!!(pinot noir)