Made Ahead Fatties?????

Started by mevswild, December 19, 2013, 02:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mevswild

Going to an Xmas party this Sunday and have been asked to bring something smoked for an appetizer so immediately I thought if a bacon wrapped fatty. My problem is that I have other Xmas obligations all day Saturday and wont be able to smoke on Sunday before going. Has anyone had any experience making fatties then chilling and reheating them? Or is this a bad idea from the beginning?

Please advise!!!

Saber 4

I'd be worried about it drying out when you reheated, You might look for some other recipes that would be easier. I cold smoked some hard boiled eggs and will make deviled eggs out of them for the family open house we're going to.

ragweed

Like Saber 4, I'm smoking eggs.  Also ABT's, cauliflower, stuffed mushrooms and little bacon wrapped "deer nuggets".

Habanero Smoker

For an appetizer, instead of making a fatty do a search for moink balls. They are bacon wrapped meatballs that will reheat easily. You can do a search on this board or google it.

Smoked or unsmoked bacon wrapped dates always go over big. Medjool dates are best for this because they are one of the largest dates. I don't have time today to post my recipe, but a quick google search will bring up a ton of recipes. I generally start mine in the smoker for 40 minutes then transfer to a 400°F oven. If the bacon has a real strong smoke flavor, I sometimes skip the smoke application.

My recipe is basically Ann Burrell's Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates. The only difference is that I will use center cut bacon cut in half, smaller size sticks of Manchego cheese, and will add an almond. If you can not find Manchego; Pecorino Romano and Asiago makes a pretty good substitute.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mevswild

Thanks for the input!!
Now to the drawing board then the grocery store! I will post some pics of what ends up being made!