Do I need to cure chickens? (no…I'm not a veterinarian)

Started by Cheech, December 26, 2013, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheech

I just got a BDS and want to smoke a chicken.  I've done this in the past on a charcoal "smoker" but I think I was using a lot more heat in that process...more of a smoke roasting deal.

The bradley "recipe booklet" lists a basic chicken that calls for a cure to be applied.  The cook temp in the book is 220 degrees.  Do I need to use a cure on a chicken being cooked at these temps?  I thought you only had to use a cure when cold smoking. 

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Cheech

Thanks...just wanted to verify my sanity...I should be good for another 48 hours.   ;D

Habanero Smoker

Hi Cheech,

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need to cure, but make sure you are smoke roasting at least at 225°F; 250°F would be better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cheech

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 26, 2013, 12:49:10 PM

You don't need to cure, but make sure you are smoke roasting at least at 225°F; 250°F would be better.

Roger that...I'll go bump it up a bit.  Thanks for the help.

UncleAl

Cheech

Thanks UncleAl.  I'm from TN.  I was supposed to be in the woods deer hunting today but the call of the smoker was too great.  I had some tenderloin from a deer we killed on Monday so it's wrapped up in bacon waiting to go on with the Chickens.  Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope I don't screw this up. 

GusRobin

I usually do not put anything under the chicken, so if you add the tenderloin you may want to put it on a higher shelf. It may just be me, but I don't like poultry dripping on other meat.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Cheech

Quote from: GusRobin on December 26, 2013, 01:31:17 PM
I usually do not put anything under the chicken, so if you add the tenderloin you may want to put it on a higher shelf. It may just be me, but I don't like poultry dripping on other meat.

Good call...I'll shuffle them up so that the venison is on top.  thanks

Tenpoint5

I'm sure you've pulled it by now but I generally pull my back straps at 148 and let them sit under a dome of foil for 20 minutes before slicing..
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Cheech

Thanks Tenpoints.  I did indeed pull them already and they were the most magnificent piece of venison I've had in 20 years of cooking them.  We killed the tenderloin while waiting on the chicken and everyone was hugely impressed.  After the chickens came off and we sat down to eat my son asked "can we just do ALL our food on the smoker from now on?"

Quarlow

I cured my chickens once and they have been fine ever since. Baadumbum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Cheech

Quote from: Quarlow on December 26, 2013, 07:00:32 PM
I cured my chickens once and they have been fine ever since. Baadumbum.

Dats what I'm talkin bout!