Temperature…measurement and control

Started by Cheech, December 26, 2013, 03:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheech

I have a 6 rack DBS.  The heating element is on the bottom, and I assume the temperature on my digital display is taken near the bottom as well.  I measure the temperature at the top with a digital thermometer that I stick in through the vent and it's been running about 20 degrees cooler up top than at the bottom.  I assume the temperature difference is due mainly to the distance from the element (i.e. the gauge isn't wrong or broken it's just a lot closer to the heat source).

If that's the case then how will this impact my decisions on placing food in the smoker?  Right now I've got two chickens and two small venison tenderloin going.  The tenderloin are on the top rack with the chickens beneath.  Is it normal that food on the bottom will be done sooner than the food on top? 

I preheated some bricks in my oven to about 300 degrees and I stuck those at the bottom of the smoker and I used hot water in the bowl in an attempt to help the smoker get up to temp quickly, and maintain temp after I open the door to add things.

I set the time for 5 hours and the temp for 220.  Eventually I bumped the temp up because I was getting nowhere close at on either thermometer.  Now it's been 3 hours, I have the oven set on 320 and my digital gauge reads 237 degrees.  It's almost time to change the water and I've not yet gotten up to the temp I've set.  Is this normal?  It feels like I'm about to have a huge setback once I open the door to refill the water.

Is there anything else I need to do with regard to temperature management?

rexster

Unless you've got the two element or 900w element mod, I don't think the smoker will ever get to 320. I never saw more than 250 or so before I modded my Bradley. Was the meat straight out of the fridge or room temp? That has a lot to do with it as well. What's your outside ambient temp? Are you getting the full 120v to the unit?
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Cheech

The meat was pretty cold.  It just came from the grocery store...I ran it under hot water to try to warm it up some.   That's probably the problem. 

Good to know about the temps...I assumed that it would go to 320 because that's the top temp they let me dial in. 

KyNola

Temperature recovery is very slow each time you open the door or place cold meat in the smoker.  The cold meat acts as a heat sink and absorbs all of the heat energy your Bradley can generate.  Remember, you're cooking with the equivalent of 5 100 watt light bulbs.

beefmann

cheech, what you  are  seeing .. it is normal.. also remember  this is as  smoker not a  traditional oven,,, it is designed to be  low and  slow...as for the temperature drop with  a  meat  load ( chicken, turkey, sausages, beef, pork, or any other ) the temp will drop and  take a  while to  recover. Most  likely the meat will get  done before the temp of the box  recovers to where you  have it  set 

Salmonsmoker

Cheech,
The Bradley isn't designed to get that hot. It has a high temp. sensor that cuts power to the element at 280F.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Cheech

I heated up two paver bricks and had them in the smoker to help with heat recovery.  Would it also help to heat the food up prior to putting it in the smoker?  Rather than put it in cold, or even at room temp, what if I heated it up to 180 degrees before putting it in?  Any thoughts?  I used hot water in the pan too.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Cheech on December 27, 2013, 12:36:14 PM
I heated up two paver bricks and had them in the smoker to help with heat recovery.  Would it also help to heat the food up prior to putting it in the smoker?  Rather than put it in cold, or even at room temp, what if I heated it up to 180 degrees before putting it in?  Any thoughts?  I used hot water in the pan too.

Once the meat surface temperature reaches 140F it won't absorb any smoke, so you'd do just as well sticking it in the oven. Meat absorbs smoke better when cooler than warmer, so if you pre-heated the meat you'd miss the prime time for smoke flavor. Without a heat element modification you're doing all you can with the pavers and hot water in the puck receiver pan. All of the rest that you're dealing with is just the nature of the beast, same as we all deal with. If you're cooking tough cuts of meat like brisket and pork butt you need the long slow temp. climb to break down the collagens so that the meat is pullable, cuttable and chewable. Don't rush the process. This is low and slow cooking. Learn it, live it, love it.  ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Cheech

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 27, 2013, 01:21:24 PM
Don't rush the process. This is low and slow cooking. Learn it, live it, love it.  ;D

Cool...just want to make sure I get up the learning curve quickly.  Thanks for the help.