• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

About to start a butt

Started by victoryss364, December 30, 2013, 06:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

victoryss364

I'm about to use my Bradley for the first time just had a quick question. In the past I have used smoke for the entire time but I've seen a few posts on here where people are only using it part of the time. Any advice? I'm smoking a 6.5lb butt and usually go for about 8hrs.

UncleAl

I am far from an expert but I would start with 2 -3 hours of smoke. In my experience it takes about 2 hours a pound to cook it in the Bradley. I am sure the experts will be along soon.

beefmann

pre heat your  box to 225 F along with your  puck  burner for 30 minutes or a  bit  longer,  put your  6.5 lb but in the smoker. close the door, add in your  favorite wood pucks so you   have 3 hours of smoke,  advance the pucks  so one is on the burner, full the water bowl and place in the smoker,,,  open your  top  vent,

when the  smoke has  stopped  continue to cook the butt in the smoker,,, most  would go for pulled  pork, for  pulled  pork general temperature range is 185- 200 F when the  meat is  done it is  done!

if you are  not going  for  pulled  pork, you  can  remove it as soon as it  reaches  an I.T  of  145 F

on a  pulled pork of 6.5 lb it  would take somewhere 6 and 12 hours,,, would start  checking it at 6 hours unless you  have a  remote thermometer

good  luck and have  fun

pondee

Quote from: beefmann on December 30, 2013, 06:58:39 AM
pre heat your  box to 225 F along with your  puck  burner for 30 minutes or a  bit  longer,  put your  6.5 lb but in the smoker. close the door, add in your  favorite wood pucks so you   have 3 hours of smoke,  advance the pucks  so one is on the burner, full the water bowl and place in the smoker,,,  open your  top  vent,

when the  smoke has  stopped  continue to cook the butt in the smoker,,, most  would go for pulled  pork, for  pulled  pork general temperature range is 185- 200 F when the  meat is  done it is  done!

if you are  not going  for  pulled  pork, you  can  remove it as soon as it  reaches  an I.T  of  145 F

on a  pulled pork of 6.5 lb it  would take somewhere 6 and 12 hours,,, would start  checking it at 6 hours unless you  have a  remote thermometer

good  luck and have  fun

6 to 12 hours gives lots of uncertainty time.  Plan on the longer time and Foil, Towel, Cooler (FTC) should it get done sooner.  you can FTC for a very long time with no ill effects.  Use a remote thermometer, plan on the longer time. FTC if needed, relax and enjoy the final product. You will want it to cool some before pulling.  It took me 16 hours for a 9.5# shoulder

watchdog56

Don't panic if your butt stall around 165 for 2 or 3 hours. That is normal.

Wildcat

I recommend that you apply smoke for 2 to 4 hours. I like a heavier smoke flavor so I would do 4 hours. IMHO any more than 4 hours is a waste of money.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/