Peeling finish/paint after first smoke on brand new smoker??

Started by Aran33, December 30, 2013, 09:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aran33

Any recommendations as to where I shop for bricks, and any particular kind to look for?  I'm in Calgary so any major hardware chain has a location pretty nearby.

ragweed

I just used a brick I had left over from a project I had done.  Any brick that fits should do.

GusRobin

A fire brick - one that is made for fireplaces, ovens, etc would probably be best. But I think any brick would do. If not a fire brick I would probably wrap in aluminum foil to keep from getting "brick dust".
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Aran33

OK, so I spoke with Bradley today and after sending them a couple pictures of the problems with the unit, they quickly told me they would send me a new smoker!  I'm a little blown away to be honest, but very happy.

Has anyone ever had to "Destroy and dispose of" a Bradley smoker? I have to sign a document saying I swear I've destroyed the old unit, and send them pictures, but I wasn't able to get much in the way of details as to what "Destroyed" means other than "making it non-functional".

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I would ask them what they mean. A door can be easily replaced. Destroyed to me would be smashing the cabinet and generator with a sledge hammer. After all usable parts have been salvaged :) If your town or county has an annual cleanup day dispose of it then, to say a few bucks on the disposal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Aran33

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 02, 2014, 01:15:25 PM
I would ask them what they mean. A door can be easily replaced. Destroyed to me would be smashing the cabinet and generator with a sledge hammer. After all usable parts have been salvaged :) If your town or county has an annual cleanup day dispose of it then, to say a few bucks on the disposal.

Well then, to be safe I'll watch Office Space the day before "D-Day" and brush up on my technique.  And maybe prep the neighbours so they don't call the cops.

I may also accidentally leak a few of the post-smash-pre-dump photos to the forums here...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Aran33 on January 02, 2014, 02:23:35 PM

Well then, to be safe I'll watch Office Space the day before "D-Day" and brush up on my technique.  And maybe prep the neighbours so they don't call the cops.

I may also accidentally leak a few of the post-smash-pre-dump photos to the forums here...

Salvage first. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I would say to save the element and the cords, along with the S/G and destroy the cabinet myself. Then you have spare parts.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TedEbear

Aran33

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 03, 2014, 02:11:22 AM
I would say to save the element and the cords, along with the S/G and destroy the cabinet myself. Then you have spare parts.

Unfortunately the smoke generator is part of the problem - it has some significant peeling on the finish right above the tray that carries the bisquettes into the smoker...  I've already seen a small sprinkling of black finish flakes on the bisquettes once I pulled it apart, and I don't really wanna eat that  :P

STLstyle

You could switch out the old housing if your smoke generator broke.  Inside is the good stuff...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

BoxcarBetts

Definitely rip out the guts! Spare parts would definitely be a good thing to have. I'll try to give bradley a call too to see if my paint issue is a problem. Mine's definitely not as bad as yours.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

turbo38gn

Wow, my SB day is half wrecked... I smoked a big pork shoulder last night, 3rd time ever using my new smoker.. first 2 times were the best pork ribs ever!!! I tasted a little piece I threw on top of the pork after 7hrs of cooking, it was so bitter I still have an after taste after 4hrs.. Looking at the smoker, I noticed the paint all peeled up around the door seal, lots of moisture inside. After finding this thread... no doubt I have the black rain  on it. Looking at the vent, the paint is all lifted...  All in all, I imagine the pork goes in the trash and the smoker is ruined.. hope a call to Bradley takes care of my dilemma. Any help is appreciated.