My first smoked burgers - spoiled forever

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, December 30, 2013, 05:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear55

renoman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 31, 2013, 06:38:29 PM
220 degrees isn't the danger zone. The danger zone is 40-140

He smoked for 2 hours and then put them on the grill to finish for who knows how long and that doesn't include the time for grinding. Pulled them off the grill at 147 which is well below what is considered "safe" for ground meat. He handled the meat from the getgo so I am sure he was careful but IMHO as a fresh sausage maker for some time I think it was too long in the unsafe zone.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: renoman on December 31, 2013, 07:20:54 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 31, 2013, 06:38:29 PM
220 degrees isn't the danger zone. The danger zone is 40-140

He smoked for 2 hours and then put them on the grill to finish for who knows how long and that doesn't include the time for grinding. Pulled them off the grill at 147 which is well below what is considered "safe" for ground meat. He handled the meat from the getgo so I am sure he was careful but IMHO as a fresh sausage maker for some time I think it was too long in the unsafe zone.
Then I will yeild to your experience and knowledge
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Jkwellborn

I tried to smoke some ground meat once. Made a mess.

WoodlawnSmoker

OK, I guess temperatures are one of those forum topics like politics, I'll know better in the future.  But if I'm handling my own meat, I am perfectly comfortable with this procedure and won't change a thing in the future. 

Tenpoint5

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on January 01, 2014, 04:53:59 AM
OK, I guess temperatures are one of those forum topics like politics, I'll know better in the future.  But if I'm handling my own meat, I am perfectly comfortable with this procedure and won't change a thing in the future.

Generally folks will err on the side of caution when it comes to temps. We would rather have you throw it out if in doubt. Then hear of someone getting sick
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

renoman

When I grill my own ground burgers I take them off at less than 160 but 2 hours+ in the smoker would be too long for me. My 12 year old nephew got E-coli from something he ate a few years back at that almost killed him. He still has to have his kidneys monitored regularly until he's through puberty. As I recall he was in the hospital for over a month. Very scary episode.

Jkwellborn

Quote from: renoman on January 01, 2014, 08:28:26 AM

When I grill my own ground burgers I take them off at less than 160 but 2 hours+ in the smoker would be too long for me. My 12 year old nephew got E-coli from something he ate a few years back at that almost killed him. He still has to have his kidneys monitored regularly until he's through puberty. As I recall he was in the hospital for over a month. Very scary episode.

Holy cow. That's beyond scary.

mrmcdowe

Sounds like a good idea. I would add some cure to the burgers next time and not need to worry about making people sick. Sorry just my opinion.

When I first started smoking I smoked some store bought fresh sausage for a good while not knowing the danger and served to my family. Thank god no one got sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoxcarBetts

Is there any issue with cold smoking burger patties and fully cooking them on the grill?  I've got some ground beef from Costco we're going to make into burgers for a BBQ. In my mind, I don't see a problem with it as long as they're fully done on the grill.

Sorry for the thread bump.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

jdhunt0

I tried smoking burgers in my Bradley once.  To this day it is the only thing I've cooked in it that did not turn out wonderful.  They looked great, maybe the best looking burger I have ever made, but the taste was not good at all.  Maybe I will try it again some day since others have had good luck.

BoxcarBetts

How long did you smoke it, JD? I gave mine an 1hr20 a couple weeks ago and they turned out great. The smoke can get a bit lost in the other condiments.  Well, maybe "lost" isn't a good word... The smoke really complimented the burger and wasn't over powering the condiments is probably a better way to put it.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

WoodlawnSmoker

I'm surprised jd, burgers are one of my favourites in the Bradley, I do them often.  I like to grind up a sirloin tip roast and add my ingredients.  Mine is simple, I'm sure you have your favourite.

- a couple of dollops of dijon mustard
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- onion powder to taste
- 1 tsp of whooster sauce
- mix together into patties

heat smoker to 250 if you want to cook fast.  I use a strong smoke like mesquitte, it will take about 1 hour 15 minutes to cook.  I pull at 145 IT, your mileage will vary upon your taste.  Finish on grill.  I will freeze the burgers and pull them out after work and heat on bbq, perfect easy meal.  I love them.