MIDWEST Smoke Out V

Started by Tenpoint5, January 01, 2014, 08:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

It looks like I'll miss this years smokeout. I'm going to be having an operation fairly soon and it is a pretty long recovery. I'll miss at least a month from work then light duty when I get back. Not sure when I'll be back fully with no special food requirements. And I will use up all my vacation with the surgery. I was hoping it could be done in March or April but the insurance just now accepted the procedure and I still do not have a surgery date. :(
But I will be there in spirit, it was a lot of fun last year and got to see some old friends and got to meet some new ones. If anyone has not been to one I really suggest you try to get there. Its so nice to meet some of the people here in person and make some new friends. And the food is great as well!  :)

ragweed

Quote from: pensrock on May 17, 2014, 06:17:36 AM
It looks like I'll miss this years smokeout. I'm going to be having an operation fairly soon and it is a pretty long recovery. I'll miss at least a month from work then light duty when I get back. Not sure when I'll be back fully with no special food requirements. And I will use up all my vacation with the surgery. I was hoping it could be done in March or April but the insurance just now accepted the procedure and I still do not have a surgery date. :(
But I will be there in spirit, it was a lot of fun last year and got to see some old friends and got to meet some new ones. If anyone has not been to one I really suggest you try to get there. Its so nice to meet some of the people here in person and make some new friends. And the food is great as well!  :)

I'm sorry to hear that, Greg.  We'll miss you.  Now that I've found a source for Cooper cheese, I'll have to try and make some of your little cheese "muffins" to bring.  Good luck with the surgery and get well soon!    Joe

KyNola

Good luck with your surgery Greg.  I'm hoping to make the MWSO again this year but too early to tell yet.

pensrock

Thanks guys I really thought this would be over with by now and into the recovery time but the insurance has held things up till recently. Now waiting to get in to see the surgeon to get it scheduled. I figured I would be good to travel and get to the smokeout but maybe next year. Have fun!

Wildcat

Good luck with the surgery.  I know the recovery will be long but hopefully the surgery you are having will easily and thoroughly correct your problem.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tailfeathers

Penz, don't know what kind of procedure you'll be having, but I'm all to familiar with surgeries and recoveries! good luck to you and I hope the end result is all you hope it will be.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

SiFumar

Best of luck on your surgery Pensrock!

Tenpoint5

Do what cha gotta do Greg. We'll catch ya on the flip side
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Judy and I hope you get your surgery scheduled soon so you can be onto the recovery phase, you will be missed this year in Iowa.

JimRhino

I've skimmed all 3 pages, so I apologize if I missed it, but where can I find the details of the MWSO?

Thanks!

JimRhino
Carpe Que,
Jim Rhino

Original Bradley Smoker, Good-One Chuckwagon, ProQ Smoker/Grill, Weber Gasser, Weber Kettle

dman4505

Wife and I are thinking of coming out this year
Has a date been set?

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Quote from: JimRhino on May 31, 2014, 08:44:39 PM
I've skimmed all 3 pages, so I apologize if I missed it, but where can I find the details of the MWSO?

Thanks!

JimRhino
Jim
The MWSO is a central gathering point for members of the forum that live here in the MidWest. The last 3 and the upcoming one are held in Cascade Iowa in my backyard. The MWSO was/is designed for folks like yourself to be able to put faces to the names that you see posting. These smoke outs are open to anyone that wishes to attend. Therefore you meet Sandy from Vegas or Greg from the Pittsburgh area, maybe even Rick from Florida or Pat from Alaska. Generally it is an informal gathering and unwinding from your road tripon Friday night. Saturday morning folks visit the surrounding area or make their annual pilgrimage to the Edgewood locker plant. That afternoon folks start showing up around 3pm. We all start manning one of the grills or smokers scattered around my deck and start cooking. Around 5ish I inform everyone in attendance about the ONE rule about eating at my house.

We eat then we all sit around and converse swap a few lies. Most of all if there are any questions you have about any of your Bradley smokers, making sausage, jerky, bacon etc... This is the time to ask. You can and will get real time answers to your questions.

Hope this helps if not send me a pm and I can give you a call and explain it more
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

All I can add is if you have never been to a smokeout. Try to go, you will get a great chance of meeting great friends and putting faces with many of the members here. There will be plenty of great food and lots on knowledge for those with questions. I have met members from Pa, Ga, Conn, NJ, Iowa, Tx, Neb, Nev, Ky, Minn, Canada and I know I'm forgetting a few other places at the moment. Point is people travel long distances to go to one of these and its a real pleasure to finally meet them face to face. On Saturday there may even be someone from Bradley there in case you have a specific question or problem. Go and enjoy you will not be sorry. :)

ragweed

And, as far as accommodations go, there's a Super 8 in Dyersville, 16.31 miles north of Cascade.  I'm paying $138.97 for two nights this year.  There is also a nice RV park in Cascade.  Several folks stayed there last year.