Smoked pork 'n beans

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, January 14, 2014, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks for indulging me guys, this smoker seems to have unleashed my creativity for wanting to try different recipes.  I've gotten so many tips and ideas from this site, as soon as I try something I'm already thinking about my next meal.

I had some extra pieces from my pork belly and figured it would work nicely in my favourite pork 'n beans recipe.  I smoked the beans for about 2 hours with hickory, it turned out very good.  I would recommend trying this, we've had the beans as a side dish the last couple of nights and it seems to taste better each time.

You can also see in the picture I tried some smoked wieners, I spiral cut them, gave them a rub and an hour of hickory.  The pieces of beef in the back will be ground for some smoked chili.  Just wanted to say thanks to the folks on here, you've inspired me.

Saber 4

Now that's what I call jumping in with both feet! Excellent job, it won't be long before your fully addicted. ;D

ragweed

I think he's there already!  Nice lookin' grub, WLS

Wildcat

Looks wonderful. Are you going to share your recipe for the p&b?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

renoman

.....now you are just getting carried away!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

tailfeathers

Here's my all time favorite recipe for calico beans. I'm pretty much under standing orders to bring them to any potluck I attend and the pot always comes home empty.
1 lb each ground beef, bacon, smoked sausage.
1 large chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 can each dark red and light red kidney beans, 1 can baby butter beans, drained
2 cans pork and beans undrained
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 T cider vinegar
1 T liquid smoke (I like wright's)
1 T dry mustard
2 T Worcestershire (Lea & Perrins)
1 t each salt and garlic salt
Black and cayenne pepper to taste
Brown ground beef with onion and garlic, drain and place in crock pot
Dice, brown and drain bacon, add.
Cut smoked sausage into bite size pieces, add. Add beans and all sauce ingredients, stir and cook on crock pot low setting for at least 4 hrs.
Notes: I like to smoke the sausage for a while before adding it. I also usually have some smoked pork on hand to add as well (trimmings from ribs, etc)
Lastly, just the sauce ingredients don't make a half bad BBQ sauce on their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Wildcat

Looks like a great recipe tailfeathers. You did not specify the size of the canned items. 15, 22, 28 ounces, 1 gallon? Based on the quantity of the other ingredients I am assuming around 15 to 22 ounce cans.

tailfeathers

Oops! Yea, standard size cans of beans. I think they are 15 or 15.5 oz. I have also thrown an extra can of beans in if I think the size of the gathering warrants a little more food. It's a pretty flexible recipe really. I like baby butter beans so I'll double up on them. I've also found that this turns out better if you stay away from real cheap beans. I try to stick with Bush's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Wildcat

Thanks. This has just been added to my "to do" list.

PapaC

Quote from: Wildcat on January 15, 2014, 12:59:32 PM
Thanks. This has just been added to my "to do" list.

Me too! Thank you.
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks guys.  tailfeathers' beans recipe blows mine away and I want to try his.  Mine is much simpler but tastes good nonetheless, the smoke makes it even better.

2 16-ounce cans of romano beans
    1-1/2 cup smoked pork (I used some from my pork belly)
    1 cup BBQ sauce (your favorite)
    1/2 medium onion chopped
    1 small green pepper chopped
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Drain beans and mix everything together in a smoker safe pot. Place in smoker at about 200 degrees and let cook for about 2 hours. I stirred every 15 minutes to get an even smoke.  it seemed to get better the next day after refrigerating.

Saber 4