Pid questions

Started by hutcho, January 05, 2014, 01:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Gonna pull the trigger on a pid setup this week.  Looking at the syl2352.  Just read the manual (im a sucker for punishment) and didnt see anything about having multiple set points.  Is that an option or am I missing something?  I thought you would have the ability to start it and it would bump temp after a preset amount of time.  Would I need the ramp/soak for that? Thanks for the help yall!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

devo

Yes you will need one that has the ramp/soak option.

hutcho

Dang ok.  Guess I will go print out the other book lol!

hutcho

It will be able to control a fan later when I add one and an external siren right?

TedEbear

Quote from: hutcho on January 05, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
It will be able to control a fan later when I add one and an external siren right?

I have the SYL-2352 in my OBS.  It has two alarm outputs.  I have one programmed to turn on at 100*F.  It is for turning on a fan when the smoker reaches that temp, although I have not installed it yet.  I guess you could program the second alarm to turn on a siren at a certain temp if you wanted it to do that.  The alarm output is rated for 3A at 120V.

hutcho

I think yours is where I got the idea for the relay switched fan.  I only was thinking of the alarm in case it got to extremely high temps I could be aware of it before something happened.   Im pretty sure there is a high temp shutoff (right?) But I would like to know before it shutdown and potentially ruins a smoke.  Maybe im just crazy and over thinking things.   

TedEbear

Quote from: hutcho on January 06, 2014, 09:46:08 AMI only was thinking of the alarm in case it got to extremely high temps I could be aware of it before something happened.   Im pretty sure there is a high temp shutoff (right?) But I would like to know before it shutdown and potentially ruins a smoke.  Maybe im just crazy and over thinking things.   

Well, I let my Maverick ET-732 monitor the temps.  The ET-732 (and I'm sure the newer model ET-733) has a feature that will sound an alarm on the remote receiver if the high temp in your cooking chamber reaches whatever you have it set at.  It also has a low temp alarm, where if the chamber temp drops below whatever you set it at it will alert you. 

The low temp alarm will only trigger once the temp initially goes above that setting and later drops back down.  Thus, you can set it up when your Bradley is still warming up but it still hasn't reached the low temp point.  It is a handy feature to alert you in case of an element failure.

devo

Quote from: hutcho on January 06, 2014, 09:46:08 AM
I think yours is where I got the idea for the relay switched fan.  I only was thinking of the alarm in case it got to extremely high temps I could be aware of it before something happened.   Im pretty sure there is a high temp shutoff (right?) But I would like to know before it shutdown and potentially ruins a smoke.  Maybe im just crazy and over thinking things.   

Hutcho
I think your ideas are very good but you are asking to much for one controller. I think, and I say think as I am not sure but I believe you would need something like a solenoid switch to come on when you get past your high alarm setting.  The high alarm would send power to the switch and cause the switch to shut down the power to the smoker.

I am just guessing on that as I am no electrician. You could send a PM out to Mr Walleye, he is pretty knowledgeable on the type of set up you want as he has a shut off for his smoker.

hutcho

Lol I actually am an electrician maybe thats why I want to do so much with it.  I didn't realize the maverick did so much so when I get around to getting a 733 I think that will be sufficient.   I didnt necessarily want it to turn off at high temp (which im pretty sure I could get it to do) but I wanted to be aware of it so I could take appropriate action, hence the siren.  My smoker is always close enough that im sure I could here it and get out there in time to do something, but the maverick sounds like just the thing.  Now I need to get to ordering some stuff.  :D