Frustration sets in

Started by tailfeathers, January 25, 2014, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Trying to smoke some salmon today. Got everything set up and started, SG is FUBAR. About every other time it advances a puck it beeps, flashes an E and keeps spitting pucks off the end until I shut it off and restart it. Unplugged everything, reversed the small cable from the SG to the tower, tried every trick I know to try. So I'm out there every 20 minutes. One time it will advance the puck perfectly, the next time maybe or maybe not. Been at it since noon, the most it has worked correctly is twice in a row. I want to do some errands and the reason I got a Bradley to start with is because I was sick of babysitting my propane smoker. Any ideas?
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

An E error is indicating that something is wrong with the micro switch or another part of the bisquette advance system.

This will provide more information, and maybe some help.
"E" Error

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

When mine started spitting pucks out 3 at a time, I called Bradley.  They said the microswitch was bad.  I replaced it.  Problem solved.

renoman

You need to move the motor assembly a hair closer to the micro switch or get a new switch. I documented this exact problem with video and pics a couple of weeks ago. If you order a new switch I would get a handful of them.

RedJada

Quote from: renoman on January 25, 2014, 02:53:05 PM
You need to move the motor assembly a hair closer to the micro switch or get a new switch. I documented this exact problem with video and pics a couple of weeks ago. If you order a new switch I would get a handful of them.

I was just looking for your post reno when you posted. Very good documentation.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34228.0

Great thread tailfeathers, lots of info, photos and video.

tailfeathers

Thanks everybody. I'm spite of the frustration with the SG the salmon turned out perfect. Thanks again to the great folks on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmonsmoker

Glad the salmon turned out tf. All else is fixable.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Smokesmore

For the price this shouldn't happen. Starting to wonder if I should have purchased something else. Obviously when it works it is amazing. Some possible quality control issues?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jkwellborn

I'm having the same issue. It seems to advance like it should automatically, but if I press the button it with throw an error. Sometimes after the first time, sometimes after a couple.

Jkwellborn

I've been messing with mine off and on tonight. I cleaned it. Tightened the bolts that hold the motor. Loosened and retightened the switch. Made sure all the connections were tight. Backed off one side of the motor. Works while I test it.

renoman

These micro switches seem to be an ongoing problem for many. I have looked around online and found a couple with the same screw pattern that are made by Honeywell and Panasonic. I wonder if they wouldn't be of better quality.

http://www.newark.com/honeywell-s-c/v7-1z19e9/micro-switch-pin-plunger-spdt/dp/39B2883
http://www.newark.com/panasonic-ew/abv1216619/micro-switch-roller-lever-spdt/dp/98F6961

The Toneluck MQS-216 switches that are in the Bradleys are also used in Kenmore dehumidifiers and there are hundreds of posts of trouble with them in there as well. They are supposed to turn off the machine when the bucket gets full of water and they fail to do so.

renoman

Quote from: Jkwellborn on January 26, 2014, 09:39:38 PM
I've been messing with mine off and on tonight. I cleaned it. Tightened the bolts that hold the motor. Loosened and retightened the switch. Made sure all the connections were tight. Backed off one side of the motor. Works while I test it.

Try taking the switch off and take it apart and clean the contacts with a small piece of emory cloth. The contacts are round and only touch at a very small surface and they get pitted very quickly. It is worth a try.

Jkwellborn

Quote from: renoman on January 27, 2014, 06:55:21 AM
Try taking the switch off and take it apart and clean the contacts with a small piece of emory cloth. The contacts are round and only touch at a very small surface and they get pitted very quickly. It is worth a try.

I doubt that pitting was the problem with mine. I say that because it fell from about 12" high while I was hooking the cold smoker up to it. I'm not blaming the unit. I think I might have jarred something loose. But so far, so good. But I'll check that if it doesn't keep working.

tailfeathers

Just got off the phone with customer service. New micro switch on its way along with a package of alder bisquettes to make up for the wasted ones. ( I didn't ask for them, she asked me what type I would like). Stellar customer service IMO, as has been stated repeatedly on these forums. Thanks Bradley!

Smokesmore

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 28, 2014, 10:24:43 AM
Just got off the phone with customer service. New micro switch on its way along with a package of alder bisquettes to make up for the wasted ones. ( I didn't ask for them, she asked me what type I would like). Stellar customer service IMO, as has been stated repeatedly on these forums. Thanks Bradley!

That's awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk