Smoker Virgin

Started by New Brunswick Smoker, January 10, 2014, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Brunswick Smoker

I bought my self a Bradley BS712 Convection Smoker for Christmas.  Just finished seasoning it and looking forward to trying out some recipes.  I know I will love this forum and I see no need to reinvent the wheel when there are lots of wheelwrights here!  The temperature was -23 C this am but calls for +7 for Sunday.  Hope to try a pork roast then.   I want to buy an instant read thermometer and wonder what brand you use and would recommend? 

TedEbear

Quote from: New Brunswick Smoker on January 10, 2014, 08:17:39 PMI want to buy an instant read thermometer and wonder what brand you use and would recommend?

Hi and welcome aboard from St. Louis.

For an instant read, the Thermapen is a popular one around here.  For continuous remote read, the Maverick ET-732 (or newer ET-733) is what a lot of people here use.

Snoopy

i would go with the maverick, about to order one myself, i jumped on the techie wagon and went with the iGrill, which i will say was awesome, but i was using it and it rained and now it's all jacked up, and when emailed the company i was told that it's not waterproof nor made for use in bad weather.

The 733 is gonna be my next pick up, don't know if its weatherproof but, like the option of both indications being on the display.

If you do get a mav, get some high temp rtv sealant and put it around the back of the probe where the wire comes out. if you get moisture in there it will mess your readings all up. had the same issue on the igrill probes and it fixed it.

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, there are lots of neat recipes for the BCS that you can look at.

NorthShoreMN

Welcome from N E Minnesota
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: TedEbear on January 10, 2014, 10:08:05 PM
Quote from: New Brunswick Smoker on January 10, 2014, 08:17:39 PMI want to buy an instant read thermometer and wonder what brand you use and would recommend?

Hi and welcome aboard from St. Louis.

For an instant read, the Thermapen is a popular one around here.  For continuous remote read, the Maverick ET-732 (or newer ET-733) is what a lot of people here use.
The Thermapen is a great tool along with the Maverick. It's great for spot checking temps. in different parts of the meat without having to pull the Maverick probe out to do that. It's also instant read, which the Maverick isn't. You can get an accurate reading in 2-3 secs, so the door to your smoker isn't open so long. I use it for everything. Well, that's not quite accurate. I don't use it as a cavity probe to check for fever. :o ::) ::)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Snoopy

Lol salmon, probably a good thing, don't know how well that point tip would work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk