• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cast Iron Skillet

Started by RedJada, January 11, 2014, 08:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Today were cleaning out the pantry. Came across a 10" cast iron fry pan that I knew I had but forgot about. It's only been used a few times, last time probably 2-3 years ago. So you can imagine the condition. Is this worth saving? If it is, what do I need to bring it back to life?

Salmonsmoker

Absolutely! What kind of shape is it in?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

ragweed

I'd say, "Yes, it's worth saving."  Wash it with some mild dish soap, then re-season it.  Of course, if it's rusted, first scrub the rust off using something like a SOS pad.

Salmonsmoker

Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

Definitely worth saving, everyone gave you good tips on restoring.

Ka Honu

If it's in really bad shape, you can put it in the oven upside down on "Clean" to turn rust and junk to ash, then reseason.

RedJada

Ok, I guess it's in rough shape. Question is, once I clean it. How should I go about re-reasoning it? I looked at sal's link but I think this may need more attention...

Jim O

My dad was a steelworker and every year or so,he'd take all the cast iron fry pans and put them into the blast furnace , then bring home and re-season .

Worked for him !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

ragweed

Found this at lodgemfg.com.

New Pans

1. Heat the oven to 250o - 300o

2. Coat the pan with lard or bacon grease. Don't use a liquid vegetable oil because it will leave a sticky surface and the pan will not be properly seasoned.

3. Put the pan in the oven. In 15 minutes, remove the pan & pour out any excess grease. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 2 hours.

Repeating this process several times is recommended as it will help create a stronger "seasoning" bond.

Also, when you put the pan into service, it is recommended to use it initially for foods high in fat, such as bacon or foods cooked with fat, because the grease from these foods will help strengthen the seasoning.

Pans needing Re-Seasoning

If the pan was not seasoned properly or a portion of the seasoning wore off and food sticks to the surface or there is rust, then it should be properly cleaned and re-seasoned.

1. Remove any food residue by cleaning the pan thoroughly with hot water and a scouring pad. I understand that heating the pan first to a temperature that is still safe to touch helps open the pores of the metal and makes it easier to clean.

2. Dry the pan immediately with dish towel or paper towel.

3. Season the pan as outlined above.

RedJada

Thanks Rag, heading to the store now to get some food. I figured lard would be best. But haven't seen that in grocery stores for awhile, but will look. Worse case, I'll hit my butcher for some pork fat. Thanks.

g

That's minor. Cover the bottom with coca cola & let sit for awhile. Scrubbed out well using steel wool/scrubber. Fill with water & bring to a boil. Scrub out again  & season. See Webb sites like lodge or campchef for seasoning instructions. Google dutch oven or cast iron cooking & you will get many sites with everything you want know. There are several very good dutch oven forums which cover everything cast iron,

RedJada

Quote from: g on January 11, 2014, 03:20:31 PM
That's minor. Cover the bottom with coca cola & let sit for awhile. Scrubbed out well using steel wool/scrubber. Fill with water & bring to a boil. Scrub out again  & season. See Webb sites like lodge or campchef for seasoning instructions. Google dutch oven or cast iron cooking & you will get many sites with everything you want know. There are several very good dutch oven forums which cover everything cast iron,

Good info G, Actually, she is setting stove top full of water on a low simmer right now. Has been for about an hour now, I add water now and then. I didn't know about coca cola thing. Looked for lard at the grocery store and nothing. I will hit up my local butcher for some fat....

Thanks for all the help everyone. Once I get her ready, then it's home bacon it that pan with a side of  lettuce, tomato and bread. Maybe smoked cheese.  ;D

NorthShoreMN

Great way to season is put enough fat in it to fry some fish, French fries etc and then let it cool with fat in it.  I use the self cleaning oven to clean really bad ones.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

devo

The good old days of cast iron cooking

Snoopy

I don't think soap is reccommended for cast iron. ours got pretty bad and i think we did something with baking soda or baking powder to clean em, don't recall for sure as the wife did it. but she just googled it and it worked.