Conditioning casings?

Started by watchdog56, January 24, 2014, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Nepas says you should condition your collagen casings by putting them in the frig. My question is how long before you stuff should they come out of the frig? Stuff right away or bring them to room temp?

devo

Hmmm who am I to say anything negative about Nepa......hell I do it all the time and he loves it. My collagen casings are kept in my crisper in my fridge 24/7 until I need some. When I do I just soak them for 20-30 minutes and stuff. Never had a problem so far. Maybe I am missing something here but don't put to much thought into the casings.............water softens them up, natural or synthetic, 20 minutes will be enough.   

watchdog56

I soak my casings for summer sausage but should  I soak the ones for sticks also?

Bugnut

How do I prepare and store a collagen casing?

There is no preparation.  Simply take them out of the packing and put them right onto the stuffing horn.  There is no rinsing, soaking or mess.  Keep these casings in the refrigerator when not in use. If casings are stored in the refrigerator at 30-50° F wrapped in plastic wrap they should last up to 2 years.

This is copied from the Sausage Maker web site.

I have never soaked collagen casings, others may but I would think they will get to soft and blow out when stuffing.

NePaSmoKer

Its how i do my collagen stick casings, Y'all do how you feel works best for you. My fibrous/synthetic SS, Bologna casings i do soak in lukewarm water for 1 hour b4 stuffing.

And yes i have soaked collagen stick casings b4 stuffing with great results.

Jkwellborn

I've soaked the collagen casings. Never heard of putting them in the fridge.

devo

Quote from: Jkwellborn on January 25, 2014, 10:32:33 PM
I've soaked the collagen casings. Never heard of putting them in the fridge.

Read the label. Now you know  ;)

renoman

The collagen casings I buy at my local sausage supply house (Halfords) are kept in their fridge. When I buy from Cabelas they are just on the shelf. It does not say on either package to keep in the fridge.

watchdog56

Well I want to give a big THANK YOU to Nepas and Sailor for giving me tips on how to get the right texture for my sticks. You can argue what you want about conditioning and whether to soak or not but I have tried many ways and to me this way has been the best. Sticks are nice and firm,casing does not peel away and casing has a nice snap to it. I have tried it with beef,my next plan will be with venison maybe next weekend. Here are some pics of the finished product;

renoman

well did you soak them or not????

watchdog56

Yes I did. I also store them in frig then took out and soaked for 30 minutes in warm water.

Saber 4

Looks like a great finished product. I'd eat a pound or three for sure.