Cured sausage meat in the fridge

Started by renoman, January 15, 2014, 01:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

.... how long can I keep it in there before it becomes unsafe or unusable. Just ground with the cure and spices in it.

Habanero Smoker

Most sources say 10 - 14 days, but the USDA  site will state 7 days. I don't use cure in many of my sausages, since I prefer fresh, but I have kept sausage with a cure in the refrigerator for over 2 weeks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

You may want to consider just how dry it will get over say a two day period. Never really thought about cured meat in the fridge for long periods of time but I would not go over 3-4 days. Wait to long and if your making sausage it will be very hard to stuff. You would have to add more water and mix it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

renoman

Thanks, I was really just thinking 2 or 3 days but was worried it may get so stiff it would be too hard to stuff and wasn't sure if the texture would be compromised. I have only left it over night in the past.

Habanero Smoker

I miss understood you initial question. I thought it was already stuffed, and you will be holding it in the refrigerator area.  I generally will stuff right away or the salt (not the sodium nitrite) causes the mixture to stiffen up, but after 8 - 12 hours that is about as stiff as it is going to get. I make mostly fresh sausage, mainly for breakfast patties; a few people want me to add cure #1 to theirs for flavor, and the texture is not compromise over time, as long as you store it properly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)