Tasso!

Started by jjmoney, January 16, 2014, 09:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmoney

How could I resist? Did the salt box cure based on Ruhlman, and did the spice rub based on a thread from this site plus Ruhlman, with some modifications (lots of ancho instead of cayenne). Smoked with pecan and hickory. I don't think the pecan was a good choice; I didn't really like what it gave. Should have used apple instead or all hickory.

Also, for no particular reason, I cut the shoulder into thinner pieces than I should have. I think this may have resulted in overdoing the nitrate, as the meat smelled very hammy (and also very good). As others have said, it's too strong for eating straight (although I tried! :) )

The one problem I ran into was that some of the pieces took an awfully long time to get up to 150 IT, even after moving into my oven. I'm not sure why. Got them all there after several hours, vac sealed, and froze.

Can't wait to make some gumbo!!!

Pachanga

Sounds like a winner.

Ancho is on of my go to dried chiles.  I have taken to grinding my own.

Let us know how the gumbo turns out.  Its gotta be good.

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

Pecan is my go to flavor. If you didn't like the pecan, you will not like hickory, since it is very similar in flavor but stronger. Let the meat rest for a day or so, and give it another try.

This cure application method has been around for ages, but I think that he penned the term "salt box method" for this method of applying cure, which is somewhat misleading. I never liked the dredging method of applying cure, since you will get inconsistent results. Such as your possible outcome of over applying the salt and sodium nitrite. When you have a greater surface to mass ratio (thin/wide pieces of meat), and you dredge instead of applying the cure according to it's weight, you will probably apply too much. If the pieces are overly thick, you may apply too little to pickup any "ham-like" flavor. Another reason I don't like this method, it is often a waste of supplies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jjmoney

I like hickory sure enough, but the pecan I felt gave it a fireplacey birch-poplar odor straight from the smoker that I don't get from other woods. I haven't thrown out the book on pecan yet, I'll try it again.

Yes Habs, there is probably an optimal thickness to get the "right" amount of cure from the dredge method-and it's likely 1/5 of the width of a typical pork shoulder, 1 1/2" or so. My slices were about half of that. I mainly did the dredge for the consideration of time with my work schedule and since I got on a bit of a gumbo jag this week. Next time I make tasso, I will take more time and brine.

Hi Pachanga, always a pleasure. Anchos are great. I go through a lot of them from my local mexican grocery. I prefer to get the whole ones; rest assured I always have a large jar (plus several hangers-on bags of other sundry chillies) around.

KyNola

Next time try Stickbowcrafter's version.  You won't go wrong with this.  Damn, I miss his posts.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6440.msg63190#msg63190  You may need to scroll up on the thread.  Best..tasso..ever.

jjmoney

Yeah KyNola, that's pretty much what I did use, just with an extra couple things in the rub. Rest assured I will use it as soon as I get back in town!