Whole ham/leg smoke time/temp?

Started by MissStress, January 18, 2014, 09:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissStress

Hi folks.. just wondering the average time to smoke one of these beasts and ideal temp? Have two and they are roughly 25lbs each.
Thanks!

MissStress

More info.. I brined the ham for about 18 hours, and have it in the smoker, tied upright by the bone but resting on a tray, temp is at around 250, seems that's as hot as my Bradley ever gets. I know the internal temp should be around 160-170 before removing but not sure if that will happen in the middle of the night or three days from now. :)

Habanero Smoker

Are you cooking a fresh or cured ham? Did you inject? Either a cured or fresh ham will take more time to brine. If you are cooking at that temperature, expect the ham to be fully cooked (145°F) in less than 10 hours. If you left the skin and fat on it will take longer.

I just smoke/cooked a 17 pound ham, bone in. It was 22 pounds before removing the skin and fat, and it was a tight fit. If you have a 4 rack Bradley, it doesn't have enough room to hang a full bone-in ham. I found if I don't remove at least part of the shank bone, it will be resting on the drip tray (V-Tray). When I smoke/cook a full ham, I generally remove  the shank bone or part of it. When you are hanging it make sure none of the ham is touching the walls, and rotate the ham from front to back every few hours. The side facing the back wall will cook faster.

The temperature you as cooking at is safe for fresh ham. Today for U.S. commercially raised hog (or any U.S. farm raised hog) the internal temperature only needs to get to 145°F by USDA standards; measured in the thickest part of the ham. I generally will take my ham out when they hit 140°F.

Here is a link to how I cure, smoke, and roast ham.
Smoke Cured Ham

If you want to try a boneless ham, the below link provides instructions for that.
Hamzilla

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)