Fresh Homemade Mild Italian Sausage

Started by devo, January 24, 2014, 08:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Going with a recipe from Emeril Lagasse. I liked the ingredients and thought why not. I make lots and lots of smoked sausage but very little fresh so its about time for some fresh. A friend who comes from an Italian back ground said I needed his family's secret ingredient for fresh Italian sausage  ???  I said OK give me some and he did.  :)
This is for a 3 pound batch, I made double so all I did was double the recipe.

Ingredients:
3 pounds well-marbled pork butt, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted fennel seeds
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground anise
2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
3 tablespoons dry red wine
4 tablespoons of SECRET INGREDIENT (no idea of whats in there)
Pork casings, optional

My marbled pork butt

All cut up

All the dry, wine and secret stuff  ;)

The Mixing begins

All bagged for an over night rest in the fridge

Combine the pork butt, garlic, paprika, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, cayenne, anise, parsley, and red wine in a large bowl and toss well to coat. Refrigerate covered overnight or up to 24 hours.

Pass the mixture through a meat grinder fitted with a medium die. (Alternately, transfer to a food processor in 2 batches and process until finely ground.) To test the seasoning, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet, and cook about 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust seasonings, to taste.

Using the sausage attachment on a mixer, stuff the meat into the casings, if being used. Twist and tie off to make 4-inch sausages. Alternately, shape into patties. Cook sausage in usual manner, making sure the internal temperature of the sausage links reaches at least 150 degrees F. Uncooked sausage can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze and use within 3 months.

Had breakfast and got the hand bomber stuffer out. 6 LBS. is to little for the Kirby cannon water stuffer.

So here is 6 lbs. of  Italian Sausage all linked and ready for the deep freeze. I just want to get them to the point they won't get squished when I vac seal them. So a few hours should do it.

And since its below freezing out side this will be my deep freeze for a few hours  ;D

ragweed

Those look good, Devo.  Any idea what's in his secret ingredient?  Looks like it's a tomato or paprika or something red base.  I know it's a secret, but what'd it taste like?

devo

Next time I see him I will get the recipe, I'm sure its not that secret  ;D

ragweed

Thanks.  I didn't want to start any wars.  Just wanted a starting point to try and make my own "secret ingredient".

devo

Actually there is some really good videos on making Italian Sausage on youtube and a couple I watched had the secret sauce also. I think its just a tomato base sauce with a few spices in it. It also gives the meat a nice red color.

TedEbear

I watched an Andy Griffith rerun the other day, where Andy had to eat 3 spaghetti dinners the same day.  Each time the special sauce had a secret ingredient - oregano!

Saber 4

Good looking sausage and I'm so glad I don't have one of those deep freezers anymore.

Smoker John

Sausage looks great, I'll be right over ;D
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

devo

Got them all vac packed. Taking these ice fishing at the end of Feb. to my son in laws is shack. BBQed Italian Sausage and ice fishing, nothing better  :)
Got 18 out of six pounds, not bad.

renoman

I have used that recipe for years and find it just excellent. I actually posted it on here awhile ago. I follow it to a tee but add 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes to "kick-it-up" a bit.