Unstable temps

Started by progun, January 23, 2014, 12:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

progun

Picked up a BDS 4 rack, seasoned it and started my first smoke. Wanted 225 but at that temp best I could get was 204-218 with vent 3/4 way open. Increased temp to 230 and variance was 211-230, same vent setting. Listed temp readings were during and after the smoke portion.
did not use any extension cords and plug is rated @ 15 amps with nothing else on the plug. Was smoking a 6lb brisket and it turned out ok but am concerned about the temp variances.
I live in Hawaii and the temp on the day of the smoke was about 79 degrees but we some strong winds. Smoker located on my covered lanai (patio) protected on 2 sides. Suspect the wind is getting down the damper and causing a losss of heat. Suspect the smoke generator works in conjunction with the damper to provide the necessary "draft" and I protected it from the wind as best as possible. Was wondering if I took a 4' diameter piece of pvc to create a 3-4 foot "stack" with a cap that sits about an inch or so over the upper end of the stack, would that help prevent or lessen the effects of the wind on the temperature variances? If not how about a portable "wind screen to surround three sides of the entire smoker? Appreciate any ideas....

beefmann

temperature swings like you  describe are normal in a smoker, there  is moisture from the  meat, water bowl that affects  the temp,,, dont worry about it,  and keep  smokine

zueth

I would suggest using the maverick 732 or 733 to monitor cabinet temp instead of the bradley.

Wildcat

x2 on what beefman said. Your house oven probably has similar swings. As long as your not smoking something that requires tight temp control like making sausage, then do not worry about it. Anything over 190 is fine for most things. Keep in mind that you are also cooking with essentially an easy bake oven. It takes a while for temps to come up and to regain heat when the door is open. Once the meat gets into say the 140 range, the heat recovery will take less time and the temp swings will become less.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokesmore

This is starting to be a common problem even using a independent thermometer.  Bradley, can you hear me?

Edit: quit comparing it to a conventional oven. They can exceed temps well over 1000°. There is no comparison except for temp swings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wildcat

Quote from: Smokesmore on January 23, 2014, 09:00:08 PM
Edit: quit comparing it to a conventional oven. They can exceed temps well over 1000°. There is no comparison except for temp swings.

Quote from: Wildcat on January 23, 2014, 04:42:40 PM
Your house oven probably has similar swings.

???
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

renoman

Quote from: Smokesmore on January 23, 2014, 09:00:08 PM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I own a Kitchen Aid gas oven with an 120v electric (helper) element and my oven will stay within 10-15 degrees of it's set temp. That is only until it warms up and then it is very accurate. I heard this statement so many times I tested it last week with my Maverick. My Bradley had temp swings of up to 35 degrees either side of it's set temp which was way more of a problem for me than recovery time and how hot it would get. However I've only smoked sausage and cheese in it so far and never needed to get over 170. I have now added the PID for temp control and a second element which makes it a whole different smoker. I have smoked sausage in temps of -20C without a problem keeping it at 170 with the single element. I live in Edmonton, Alberta the most northerly major city in N.A. I also don't seem to be bothered by the wind as some on here are. If I need to smoke over 225 I do it on my Weber BBQ. Now that I have done my mods I am going to try my special slow cooked prime rib roast which needs to hold 200 for 3 hrs and 175 for 4 hours which has always been a challenge in the grill and even the oven. If I had to buy a Bradley again I would not get the digital because the digital controls are poor at best and now not even needed for me.

progun

Thanks for all the advice. Got me a dual probe thermometer from Amazon and will use it on my next smoke. Gonna move the location of the smoker to a different that does not experience much if any wind. Fingers crossed..... :o

weazel

the maverick 733 is on sale on amazon.com for $69.99 and on amazon.ca for $72.99
free shipping for either... great deal on a great thermometer

hutcho

Crap! My maverick just came in and I paid 82! Not a bad deal and definitely worth it but coulda saved some coin :'(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2