Pork Butt done to fast??

Started by watchdog56, February 01, 2014, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

OK I put 2 5lb pork butts in my 6 rack around 5;00. It is now 10;15 cst and my internal temp is reading 176 already and climbing.. I have smoker set at 225 with  a pid. Is it possible that these are getting done to fast? It does not look like it is even ready to stall.  I have checked the temp with another thermometer and get the same numbers. I have probed it in a couple of different places also. When I have done similar butts they usually take 15-20 hours.

KyNola

I won't say they are getting done too quick but I will say I have never seen a butt at 225 get to 176 in 5 hours.  Something seems awry to me but what do I know?  Ultimately, it's all up to the pig that the butts came from.  When they get upwards of 190 stick a fork in them and twist it and see if the meat separates easily.  If they do, you're good to go!

watchdog56

OK figures out what was wrong. I plugged the probes wrong into my maverick 732. Late night and maybe a few to many.

Saber 4

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 01, 2014, 08:27:47 PM
OK figures out what was wrong. I plugged the probes wrong into my maverick 732. Late night and maybe a few to many.

Glad you got it straightened out in time to save the piggy