• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp...temp... temp...

Started by Smokesmore, January 31, 2014, 04:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokesmore

I'm going to be starting a corned beef brisket tonight. It will likely take 4 to 5 hours at 250 degrees. It is 8 degrees above Fahrenheit. I turn my smoker on an hour ago and I am at 169 degrees, the smoker housing was inside my house so it was room temperature. So it looks like I climbed a hundred degrees in the last hour. 

I'm trying to heat up some masonry bricks in my oven. It's amazing how long they take to heat up. I don't think I'm going to be able to get my smoker up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.  I will keep you posted on what temps I can achieve in a colder climate.  Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

If you haven't already done so turn the puck burner element on as well. The extra 125 watts will help. Boiling water in the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Smokesmore

Did it.  Hot water (like 125). Bricks are just starting to get hot. I'm going to throw the in when I can't touch them for more than a second.

The temp is well above my water now. I'm not too concerned about the time it takes but more concerned if it can get there. 198 degrees fahrenheit now. It's creeping up (which is good) but outdoor temps are dropping about as fast.

Smokesmore

Put the bricks in and they are hot enough to burn your finger if you left it on there. I'm going to see if it's going to help or hurt the temps but obviously I don't want to open the door.

If the bricks aren't to an exact temp like 225 I have a feeling it's going to hurt me. But the bricks have been in 400 degree oven for over an hour.

Edit: temperatures recovered fairly quickly once the bricks went into the oven.

Edit: Vent is 1/2 closed. Wind 10mph out of South and smoker is on the north side well protected. My house is the wind block.

I hope my annoying posts help someone

Smokesmore

Smoker hit 207° and meat went in. Meat sat on counter for 1:45. Here is a pic of the meat. I will let you know how the temps flux.

Smokesmore

Sorry to keep bumping but the ordinary Mason bricks (like the ones on your house) seem to be working wonders.  225 as of now, 1 1/2 hour after. Seems to be climbing consistently.  Outdoor temps went back to 8° fahrenheit (hence south winds). The meat has been in the smoker with mostly hickory and a couple slips of mesquite.  I am feeling a lot more confident about Super Bowl smoke out now. I will show some pics of the finished product. 

Saber 4

Sounds like you're getting a good handle on using your smoker in extreme cold.

Smokesmore

Finished product.  I did get the BDS up to 230° range. The masonry bricks are a MUST. Stable temps just will take a few hours to heat up.

Saber 4

If it wasn't so cold in your neck of the woods I'd have to come by for a sandwich later. :)

pensrock

The corned beef looks great. Yes the bricks make a big difference in very cold weather as well as keeping away from the wind, which sounds like you did.  :)

ragweed

It took me a while to figure it out, but I love my brick and near boiling water!!  Nice job!!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

zueth

I user bricks on every smoke, but have never heated them in the oven first. Might be worth a try, how long did you have them in the oven?  what size bricks? how many? where they on the bottom by the water bowl?

tskeeter

Zeuth, I use standard building bricks from Home Depot, wrapped in two layers of foil (so it's easy to change the outer foil if they get greasy).  I've used from two to four bricks, depending on the situation.  Placement has varied depending on the situation.  When I used four bricks, I put two toward the sides of a tray above the turkey breast and two toward the sides of a try below the turkey breast (in a 6 rack).  I've also set two bricks toward the edges of the V-tray.  Or two bricks in the bottom of the smoker next to the puck bowl.  I think that when the bricks are above the heating elements, they might absorb heat more readily.  But don't know that for sure.  However, bricks next to the puck bowl means they are pretty much out of the way all the time.

When I've preheated bricks in the oven, I put them into a 400F oven for an hour or so.  I have no idea how hot they got in that time.  But, I used oven mitts to handle them.

Bigwalleye

Fired up my new EBS and it never made it 90F. Was trying to season it but cldnt hit the recommended temp.  Also fed 3 pucks on its own as never hit the advance button??