Deer Jerky Wafers

Started by ragweed, February 02, 2014, 10:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Time to make another batch of jerky wafers.  My supply got hurt real bad over the holidays.

5 lbs coarse ground deer
9 oz Smoking Gun Jerky Marinade
2 tsp Black pepper
2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Cure #1

All mixed together and after an overnight in the frig...ready to stuff.

Stuffed into 3 inch casings.

After about 4 hrs. in the freezer to firm up, sliced into wafers and to the dehydrators.

It took about 5 1/2 hrs to dry.   Another hour for the ones I sliced too thick.  I ran the dehydrators at 150* F.  A nice little batch of deer jerky wafers.  Yield was 49%.

Now to vac seal and hide a few packages.  ;) ;) ;)

KyNola

That's what I'm talking about!  I really need to make some of these.  Will have to find some Smoking Gun Jerky Marinade.

ragweed

Quote from: KyNola on February 02, 2014, 11:17:07 AM
That's what I'm talking about!  I really need to make some of these.  Will have to find some Smoking Gun Jerky Marinade.

It's made here in Lincoln. Don't think they market elsewhere.  www.smokinggunjerky.com  Check out the various flavors he makes.  I think Nepas tried the "Ultimate Insanity" that I brought to the MWSO.  I'll never forget the look on his face!

KyNola

Thanks for the link Joe.

I recall the look on Rick's face at the time.  Priceless. :o

;D ;D ;D

Saber 4

I've got to make another batch of these Joe, when you use GB do you get 80/20 or 90/10, I can't find any cheap 90/10 so I've been holding off on doing some.

ragweed

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 02, 2014, 11:44:18 AM
I've got to make another batch of these Joe, when you use GB do you get 80/20 or 90/10, I can't find any cheap 90/10 so I've been holding off on doing some.

I never use GB, any percentage, for jerky.  I don't want any fat in the meat; or as little as possible.  When I'm forced to use beef, I buy eye of round and grind it.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on February 02, 2014, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on February 02, 2014, 11:44:18 AM

I never use GB, any percentage, for jerky.  I don't want any fat in the meat; or as little as possible.  When I'm forced to use beef, I buy eye of round and grind it.

Thanks Joe, I'll keep my eye out for some since I don't have a freezer full of venison.

renoman

This looks like a great idea. Gonna have to give it a try.

Saber 4

Quote from: renoman on February 02, 2014, 08:42:05 PM
This looks like a great idea. Gonna have to give it a try.

You'll love the ease and probably never break out the jerky gun again. :)

OntarioSmoke

Just curious is it possible/safe to make these in just the smoker if you do not have a dehydrator.  I want to try them out but also don't want to make something that is inedible.  Thanks

Saber 4

Quote from: OntarioSmoke on February 06, 2014, 08:19:31 AM
Just curious is it possible/safe to make these in just the smoker if you do not have a dehydrator.  I want to try them out but also don't want to make something that is inedible.  Thanks

I don't see why you couldn't, you'd have to keep an eye on them and rotate the racks front to rear, bottom to top as long as you have the right amount of cure in your mix.

ragweed

Saber 4 is correct.  It will just take longer.

OntarioSmoke

Okay that is what I was thinking but wanted to get a second opinion before I gave it a shot, thanks guys

tailfeathers

Ragweed, I hope you are not offended by this but I want people to know and appreciate the quality of folks who participate here. I've said before and reiterate now that this is unlike any other forum where I have either participated or lurked. This guy, Ragweed, sent me a pack of his deer jerky wafers along with 1/2 chub of his beef summer sausage. He doesn't  know me from Adam but heard I'd wrecked a knee, PMed me for my address and yesterday a care package of meaty goodness. That, my friends, is going above and beyond! Thanks Joe, and blessings on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

ragweed

Not offended at all.  Maybe a little embarrassed.  I just hope I don't get a bunch of addresses now from folks with fake knee injuries! lol