Grease Fire

Started by Maximus1959, February 04, 2014, 11:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkwellborn

Quote from: Smokesmore on February 24, 2014, 12:03:51 PM
Awesome... Just plain awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No kidding. You don't find service like that very often these days.

creamer28

Hmm... it looks like this just happened to me. Fairly new smoker, thats free from grease before cooking.

I was cooking a pork shoulder for several hours before coming home to charred inside. Interesting points from everyone - will need to investigate the cause.

iceman

Like I've said many times before. Bradley is #1 on customer service. Sorry about the fire but glad it was contained. Wish you the best with the new smoker.

tskeeter

Maximus, back in the days when I was working in restaurant kitchens, we used to get cryopacked beef tenderloin that had a thick fat cap on it.  Since Costco sells the cryopack, I'm wondering if you trimmed the fat and silverskin from your tenderloin to prepare it for cooking?

DWYER1

Well, after many years of smoking, I bought a new Bradley smoker.  Same issue, grease fire.  It seems I did not clean the v tray after last weeks use.  Burned up my tappecue probes, but the important part, I saved the brisket.  Just a little singed.  The door seal is unaffected.  If it wasn't for the tappecue, something else might have caught fire.  I guess tomorrow its elbow gfrease to clean up the smoker and burner, after it cools a bit.

DWYER1

:) :D
I think the cause of my grease fire was dirty tray and not removing the brisquettes from the pan.
There was no evidence of fire on the burning element, but plenty on the v tray and ion the water pan.
I stripped it, cleaned and washed the entire unit.  Guess im going to have to re-season my smoker.  Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi DWYER1;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum is such a manner.

A lesson learned the hard way, but fortunately no one was hurt and there was minimal damage. It is very important to change the water bowl, and keep the V tray clean, especially making sure the drain hole is clear. Often when smoking fatty cuts such as briskets, and shoulders, during the cook I find a need to scrape the V tray with a metal putty knife, to make sure the vents and drain hole remains clear.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)