Sorry to be such a pain.

Started by hutcho, February 07, 2014, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

So gonna do some sticks again this weekend and instead of doing high mountain im gonna try a recipe from here.  My problem is I dont have any cure #1.  Can I use mortons tender quick instead and just follow the instructions for the amount of meat? Will this end up tasting different or be unsafe to eat? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Habanero Smoker

Use TQ at 1/2 Tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) per pound of meat/fat. If the recipe is using cure #1, do not add any of the salt that is called for in that recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hutcho

Thanks alot!

hutcho

How about for instacure?

Habanero Smoker

Instacure #1 is the same cure #1, it is just one of the many brand names for cure #1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hutcho

Ok last question...I think.  TQ says to let it cure 4-8 hrs.  If I let it sit overnight and smoke first thing in the morning will I be ok.

Also will it make the meat tougher to stuff? Like should I go ahead and stuff right after mixing?

Thank you for all the quick answers Hab!  I really appreciate it!

Habanero Smoker

If you are looking at the package directions, that 4 - 8 hours are directions for applying TQ to thin cuts of whole muscle; chicken, pork chops, ribs etc. Those directions have nothing to do with sausage making.

When adding a cure to ground meat, as long as you mix everything well, you don't need to wait until you stuff it. The curing action start immediately, and by chance the curing is not complete by the time you place it in the smoker, during the drying period the low heat will speed up the curing. Mix the TQ with the liquid that is called for in the recipe, before adding it to the meat. Whether I am using a cure or not, I stuff immediately, because the salt will stiffen up the mixture. Also after stuffing, it is generally too late for me to begin smoking the sausage, so I generally refrigerate the stuff sausage over night. I feel this helps develop the flavors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hutcho

Awesome thank you!!

I ended up grinding my meat, and stuffing last night and plan on firing the smoker up first thing in the morning.  I cant thank you enough for all the advice!

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome. But I just happened to be the first to reply. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

renoman

Habs is spot on (as usual) I most often grind, mix and stuff the day before I smoke due to the time it takes to do all of that. And a night in the fridge enhances the flavour.

hutcho

Once again thank you everyone! Will know what they taste like for sure tommorow when I pack them.  I tasted one piece and the texture was kind of odd.  Im sure it will be better after bloom.  Anyway....pics...

Forgot to snap one during smoke :/

Saber 4

hutcho

Quote from: toticwayllum1991 on January 29, 2021, 12:20:38 AM
Quote from: hutcho on February 07, 2014, 01:46:45 PM
How about for instacure?

i don't trust their privacy
What?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

hutcho

Can someone ban this idiot?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: hutcho on January 31, 2021, 08:27:16 PM
Can someone ban this idiot?

I reported it as a spammer. Hopefully this person will be blocked soon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.