The Definitive Carrot Cake (Iced in the ATL today)

Started by BBNRules, February 12, 2014, 04:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

The Definitive Carrot Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups oil
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup pecans
(I don't use raisins, but if you're so inclined, chop 1 cup of them into smaller pieces and add to the batter)

•Cream Cheese Frosting:
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of pecan pieces to cover the icing

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare two 9" pans by lining with parchment or wax paper.

Mix in a bowl the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

In a bigger bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla for about minute or so.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix for about 2 minutes more.

Add the grated carrots. Then add nuts.

Pour batter in prepared cake pans and bake for approx. 45 to 50 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer, it should be dry when taken out. Cool then frost with cream cheese frosting.  I take a serrated bread knife and slice the "dome" off the cake so it has a rough top and it's flat so the cake can take the icing and not have a strange bulge shape when it's done. The cake is slightly denser than most, which I like.

To make the cream cheese frosting: a bowl beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add in icing sugar and beat for a minute. Add vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for another minute.   You will not use all of the icing, there will be a little bit of leftover.  Take the pecan pieces and shake them all over the icing and on the sides as well.  It makes for a nice presentation. 

OldHickory

This sounds really good.  Any pic's?.  When I lose some of these extra pounds from over the Holidays eating, I will try this. ;D ;)
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

RedJada

Thanks for posting this BBN, I'll see if I can find time to try it this weekend.

BBNRules

It's very decadent.  The cake and icing are dense, but in a good way.  It's best to leave it in a cake cover with the sides kept open by some oven mitts.  The icing needs to firm up and harden.  It took every bit of 24 hours to get it done.  During the day I would leave it completely uncovered.