Crusty rye bread?

Started by tailfeathers, February 08, 2014, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

I'm getting ready to try my hand at a crusty rye. I'm not certain but I thought I saw somewhere that it was as simple as using 1 cup of rye flour and 2 of unbleached AP instead of all 3 AP? Then I was thinking I would add some caraway seed. Anybody that has made a crusty rye I would appreciate you input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

You are on the right track, that's what I have found works best, I first tried a 50-50 split and it was to dense and didn't rise as well. Definitely add lots of caraway seeds they make the bread. Let us know how it turns out for you.

tailfeathers

You betcha and thanks!

Smokin Soon

Here's one from the Artisan in Five book that's really easy. Better left in the fridge for 5 days if you can.

Yields: 0

Ingredients

3 Cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
2 tablespoons caraway seeds + more for sprinkling on top
1 Cup medium rye flour
5 1/4 Cup unbleached all-Purpose flour
1/4 Cup dried good quality onion flakes
cornmeal for pizza peel
cornstarch wash with pastry brush

Instructions
In a 5 quart bowl or the bowl of a Kitchen Aid, mix the yeast, salt, caraway seeds, onion flakes and the water. Mix well.

Add the two flours and mix well until just wet and all the flour is incorporated. Need not knead. This will be a very wet and sticky dough. Remove the dough to an almost airtight container (I bought a Sterilite 6 quart plastic rectangular tub with a lid, at Target) and allow it to rest and rise for 2 hours. It should almost fill the tub to the top. Then place the tub into a refrigerator for a couple days. This will allow flavor to develop and the dough will harden and be easier to handle.

To use, dust with flour, the portion you wish to remove, then cut it apart from the remainder of the dough. I imagine the dough into thirds and sprinkle flour over 1/3 of the dough and then with a knife I cut into it and then stick my fingers into the cut and work my fingers under the portion I want to remove and just lift it out. It will stick some but just pull it out. Work it and shape it into a ball and then into an oval loaf. I place it onto the cornmeal dusted pizza peel at this time and place it into a moist warm oven for about 90 minutes. My pizza peel fits into my oven (I sawed off part of the handle so that it fits). I keep removing the peel and checking the loaf for shape. If it is flattening, I flour my fingers and tuck in the dough at the lower edges to keep propping it up and keeping it oval and doomed. This has to be done often. I have two ovens, therefore, one is the wet warm raising oven and the other is the baking oven. Preheat your baking oven to 450-degrees, with one rack at the level of just above the middle and one rack just below it with a 8" X 8" cake pan in the oven on the lower rack getting hot with the preheating. Place a pizza stone on the upper rack. The pizza stone should be heated for about 30 minutes so it's really hot. I remove the bread from the warming rising oven every 20 minutes or so and reshape the sides, propping them up if the bread seems to be sagging or spreading. When it is done rising, I slash it across the bread with deeper cuts at the center and more shallow towards the ends. I then paint it with the cooked corn starch paste and then sprinkle caraway seeds. (Sometimes I sprinkle coarse salt granules like sea salt on the bread but NOT if it is going to sit for days, the salt will draw moisture out and it will melt the salt granules and look spotted and unsightly). Slide the bread onto the pizza stone and at the same time pour one cup of very hot water into the cake pan and create steam. Close the oven door and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and do not eat until cool and cured! You will not believe what you have made. This recipe comes from Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day with modifications.

tailfeathers

Well I just used the standard crusty bread recipe and subbed a cup of rye flour for one of the unbleached ap. A tsp or so of caraway that I ground a bit and some smoked white cheddar. Oh and just a pinch of dill. Came out awesome. Thanks!

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 09, 2014, 04:43:43 PM
Well I just used the standard crusty bread recipe and subbed a cup of rye flour for one of the unbleached ap. A tsp or so of caraway that I ground a bit and some smoked white cheddar. Oh and just a pinch of dill. Came out awesome. Thanks!

Ah, gotta love that Unicorn Bread, Pictures????

tailfeathers

Today's rye on the right, a green olive/pepperoni from Friday on the left. Roasted some corned beef and cabbage yesterday, had to make the rye for reuben sammies today

Saber 4

Now that's what I'm talking about, that bread looks perfect. did you like the taste of the rye? I've been thinking about trying a cup of whole wheat or maybe a cup of ground oats.

tailfeathers

Yeah the rye was quite good. I'm thinking next time a tad more caraway, but it had a pretty good rye flavor and the Reuben's were delicious.

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 09, 2014, 07:26:04 PM
Yeah the rye was quite good. I'm thinking next time a tad more caraway, but it had a pretty good rye flavor and the Reuben's were delicious.

I bet those Rueben's were awesome, I need to add more caraway next time also. My first try had the perfect amount but I forgot how much and haven't gotten back to it yet.

Little Bear Game Farm

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 09, 2014, 09:34:53 AM
Here's one from the Artisan in Five book that's really easy. Better left in the fridge for 5 days if you can.

Do you guys find the crust to be real tough after the first day?  I think I may be doing something wrong because I've found that if you don't eat it right away, you can hardly chew through the crust.  I tried making croutons out of it and almost broke a tooth!

Thanks!

Saber 4

Quote from: Little Bear Game Farm on February 10, 2014, 10:46:29 AM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 09, 2014, 09:34:53 AM

Do you guys find the crust to be real tough after the first day?  I think I may be doing something wrong because I've found that if you don't eat it right away, you can hardly chew through the crust.  I tried making croutons out of it and almost broke a tooth!

Thanks!

I've cut my uncovered bake time to 8-10 minutes and that gives me the crust I like, if I don't eat it all up in 3 days I put it in a Ziploc bag on top of the fridge and that keeps it from getting to hard. How did you do your croutons? I cut mine into chunks and heat up a couple of tablespoons of butter in a non stick skillet, throw in the chunks and season them up then I just toss them around in the butter every couple of minutes until I get the color and crispness that I want. So far they've turned out great every time.

tailfeathers

I took Saber's advice and also cut my uncovered bake time down to about 8 minutes, this seems to leave the crust a bit softer as he states. I like some "chew" to my crust but haven't noticed it being so hard it was unpalatable. Just had a bowl of leftover corned beef and cabbage with a couple of thin slices of crusty rye. Yum!

tailfeathers

Or should I say "unicorn-ed" beef. Haha no photographic evidence that it ever existed!

Little Bear Game Farm

Typically diced old bread with some seasonings and a drizzle of olive oil.  Then into a 350 degree oven, stirred every so often to turn it over.  That could add to the hardness as well.  I'm going to have to try cutting down my uncovered time.  Hopefully that helps, Thanks!