Dano's Delhi Tandoor Chicken

Started by Dano, March 01, 2014, 08:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Hi all (Namaste!)

Wanted to share a recipe I picked up in my travels through Delhi, Agara and Singapore and have adapted it to western style cooking and ingredients.  It's about as authentic as I can get it with what I have here in S.Ontario so wanted to share.  Note that if you like murgh makhani(butter chicken) it's recommended to use this chicken in that recipe too.  I'll post that one after this and make a note of it.

2 - 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes
2.5 Tbs. tandoori masala
1 Tbs. gr. cumin
1 Tbs. gr. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. gr. kashmiri chili powder (in a pinch, cayenne will do)
1 tsp. gr. turmeric
1 Tbs. fresh minced garlic(I use a fine hand grater)
1 Tbs. fresh minced ginger root(fine hand grater)
2 Tbs. veg. oil or peanut oil
2 tsp. garam masala
Juice of 1/2 lime(1 to 1.5 tbs) - use a fresh lime, not limeaid or concentrate
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley or coriander
1 cup plain yogurt - use greek plain yogourt 10%MF. 2%MF will also work but DO NOT use fat free

Use an airtight sealable tupperware or glass container and mix all ingredients in this container.  I find it's easier than transferring the marinade from the mixing bowl as it'll be a paste.

Mix all dried ingredients first, then add ginger/garlic/oil/lime/vinegar
Mix well, you should have a very dark red paste
Add the yogourt, mix well
Add fresh parsley or coriander, mix well
Add chicken cubes and mix until all pieces are coated
Seal in container and store in fridge for 48 hours( must be 48 hours, 24 hours is just too little:) - each day give it a good stir to overhaul/mix the chicken up

Most indian grocers will have these spices for cheaper than your local Sobeys or Zehrs so I recommend doing some research first to find out what's in your area.  Outside of the kashmiri powder you really can't substitute much with this style of Northern Indian cooking.

Enjoy!
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Dano

I just realized I forgot to tell you how to cook it!  LOL! 

Oil and thread some skewers with chicken, packed well with no spaces between the chicken (if wooden be sure to soak them for 30 mins first) - I use metal because they're easier

On a grill (gas, charcoal, wood, doesn't matter!) pre-heat so it's VERY hot.  We're pushing 450F-500F here when I do mine
I grill these on my propane grill with some mesquite chips so if you have some get it smoking
Oil the grill with PAM or similar and place the skewers on the top rack, not directly on the lower grill
Turn every 2-3 mins to cook evenly - it doesn't take long as the chicken cubes are small
They're done in about 8-10 minutes - try not to let them get black or form a lot of black spots as this will really spoil the taste
Server as is or with a squirt of lime juice and black pepper

Cheers,
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)