• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ribs- first go with the Jan's Rub

Started by Tulla, February 16, 2014, 11:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blokie

Thanks Tomek

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Dano

Sobeys carries it in their spice section. It's usually by the club house signature steak seasonings and kosher salts. Each sobeys in KW carries it so I  haven't bothered to check zehrs.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

tskeeter

Quote from: tomek on April 08, 2014, 05:32:37 AM
I tried this rub on chicken breasts and it came out very very salty. Should I be washing the rub off after a time in the fridge? Or is it that we typically dont use much salt in foods?

Tomek, that you find Jan's Rub too salty is probably a combination of not using a lot of salt and the salt content of the rub.  I have looked at the various types of salt in the rub, the garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, etc., and wondered if a person could reduce the salt content by using garlic powder, onion powder and the like.  I'm sure you shouldn't do a 1 to 1 substitution of garlic powder for garlic salt, for example.  Maybe someone who knows more about spice use than I do could make some suggestions for a lower salt version of Jan's rub for those who don't eat a lot of salt. 

NorthShoreMN

Quote from: tskeeter on April 08, 2014, 08:12:08 AM
Quote from: tomek on April 08, 2014, 05:32:37 AM
I tried this rub on chicken breasts and it came out very very salty. Should I be washing the rub off after a time in the fridge? Or is it that we typically dont use much salt in foods?

Tomek, that you find Jan's Rub too salty is probably a combination of not using a lot of salt and the salt content of the rub.  I have looked at the various types of salt in the rub, the garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, etc., and wondered if a person could reduce the salt content by using garlic powder, onion powder and the like.  I'm sure you shouldn't do a 1 to 1 substitution of garlic powder for garlic salt, for example.  Maybe someone who knows more about spice use than I do could make some suggestions for a lower salt version of Jan's rub for those who don't eat a lot of salt.
I replace the onion and garlic salt with powder same amounts and like that mix.
Like the original also, just trying to cut back salt without messing up great flavor of rub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

tskeeter

Thanks for the input, Paul!  Good to know a 1-1 substitution will work.

NorthShoreMN

Forgot to mention I do not remove celery salt. The celery powder is too big a change. I usually have three jars on hand. One original, one hot(less salt) and one regular (less salt). Some gets used up faster than others.
There are other rubs, but for me, it's the "go to" .
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi