Smoked Mtn. Lion (Cougar)

Started by Maximus1959, March 01, 2014, 10:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus1959

Quote from: Smokesmore on March 03, 2014, 04:24:00 PM
What did the DNR say about shooting it? I suppose if you felt you were in danger (with 30 yards being a blink and he's on you) you would be ok.  I'm in ND and they only offer a limited amount of Cougar tags so obviously laws are different. Either way that is pretty crazy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) holds no weight here. I am 100% legal, as I had a tag, which I purchased over the counter. As I stated in my previous posts; they are open to hunting from Sept 1st to March 31st, as long as you purchase a tag.

Maximus1959

We are regulated by the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife. I work with them regularly and I am an avid hunter. I believe in animal preservation and giving back to the wildlife population.

Smokesmore

I actually read up on ND regulations after posting last night and was surprised to find out you can still pursue with dogs in my state.  From what I read there really isn't much regulation on hunting mountain lions at all. Then again there are probably a lot more Mountain Lions in Washington then in North Dakota.

Maximus1959

Most the Western States have a high Mtn. Lion (Cougar) population. It has increased dramatically since the hunting with dogs was removed 10 years ago. Yes their is a draw permit limited season to use dogs, but it is not making a dent in the populations. The wolves are their biggest threat. Wolves will kill them for turf rights. Animal politics I guess...

BBNRules

I see cougars everyday in Atlanta, and it it weren't for my wife I'd hunt them each and every day with or without a tag.  :)

Smokesmore

Quote from: BBNRules on March 05, 2014, 06:57:44 AM
I see cougars everyday in Atlanta, and it it weren't for my wife I'd hunt them each and every day with or without a tag.  :)

LOLS

tailfeathers

Quote from: BBNRules on March 05, 2014, 06:57:44 AM
In other words you have a license that prevents the hunting of cougars, but they may be freely hunted by anyone without that particular license?
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

BBNRules

In other words you have a license that prevents the hunting of cougars, but they may be freely hunted by anyone without that particular license?

In Atlanta, there are so many cougars you can't throw a baby back rib bone without hitting one.  Therefore, licenses are not needed as the herd needs to be thinned. 

Chas.

Max,  I've had 2 kitties, one was good, the other was bear-bait. Depends on male or female, breeding season, what they've been living on, what time of year it is, etc, etc...
Sounds like it was fall hunting season, eh?  If he was in a good area and eating something besides old carrion, he should be palatable.
If you like mild, try a simple herbed/garlic/onion/salt marinade and an applewood or cherry smoke.
If you like strong, try a Cajun Marinade and a sharp smoke like mesquite or hickory, maybe pecan, depending on the cat.
Unfortunately, I ate my lions a long, long time ago, before I was ever interested in home smokin'.
Even back then, it weren't bad.
Let me know how it ends up?

Chas.

STLstyle

I've never had cat to my knowledge but I have ate at some sketchy Chinese joints so you never know...  Let us know the results!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo