First jerky

Started by NorthShoreMN, March 02, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthShoreMN

No deer this year but local butcher rounded up 10 pounds of elk trimmings for me. Trimmed all fat,silver skin &tenons out and ground it up. Used Ragweeds recipe and let it cure overnight then stuffed into 3 1/2 " casings.  Semi froze it then ran through slicer.  Put disks on dehydrator.  Only remembered to get two pictures. First batch on dehydrator I think I cut too thin. Turned out fine but
Chip like. Just sliced more, thicker, and started dehydrator again

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Looks like a great job, I like to do them thin sometimes, it gives it a whole new texture if you don't over dry them.

pensrock

Nice job Paul, I just did a batch myself but added a little more cayenne and some  Penzeys Northwoods Fire seasoning to Joe's recipe to kick it up a little. I sliced mine 1/4" thick and they came out great. I just used very lean beef roast on sale and course ground it. My BIL was supposed to bring some venison by but never showed up.

ragweed

Looks good, Paul.  How'd the 2nd batch turnout?

NorthShoreMN

Ragweed,
2nd batch in dehydrator turned out better thicker and more flavor. I still have one stick left. Do you slice by hand or on a slicer? How thick do you slice the rounds.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

ragweed

I slice by hand.  To be honest, I never thought about a slicer.  Probably 'cause Dad didn't have one when he first made these.  As to thickness, I try for 1/4 to 5/16ths inch.  Slicing by hand works great.  That way, they don't all finish at the same time!   ;) ;)   

pensrock

I used a slicer but the chubs were not frozen solid. I do not know how well it would work frozen solid. Mine were frozen about 5 hours and were quite firm but the very middle were a little soft but I had no problems. I also peeled the casing off before slicing if hand slicing it may be better to leave the casing on. Not sure but Joe can tell you.  :)

ragweed

I leave the casings on when slicing, but remember when I did the double batch, when I went to do the second chubs the next day, I couldn't get the casings off.  :( :(  So now I only do one 5 lb batch at a time, my capacity.  I leave mine in the freezer for about 4 hrs.  They come out just barely frozen.  Enough to slice, but still wet enough to peel the casings before drying.

NorthShoreMN

Last of jerky in dryer now.  They do take longer when cut thicker but they do have more flavor.  Had 8 racks in use. 
Will definitely do this again.

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on March 04, 2014, 06:33:27 AM
I leave the casings on when slicing, but remember when I did the double batch, when I went to do the second chubs the next day, I couldn't get the casings off.  :( :(  So now I only do one 5 lb batch at a time, my capacity.  I leave mine in the freezer for about 4 hrs.  They come out just barely frozen.  Enough to slice, but still wet enough to peel the casings before drying.

Joe, have you ever tried leaving the casing on a couple of them to see if it shrinks down with the jerky or if the jerky would shrink away from the casing allowing you to just pick it up off the rack after drying?

ragweed

Quote from: Saber 4 on March 06, 2014, 07:39:11 PM
Quote from: ragweed on March 04, 2014, 06:33:27 AM

Joe, have you ever tried leaving the casing on a couple of them to see if it shrinks down with the jerky or if the jerky would shrink away from the casing allowing you to just pick it up off the rack after drying?

Yes, I have.  When I had problems with the double batch.  It was worse.  Had to cut the casings off!

Saber 4

Thanks Joe, I had been thinking about it and figured that you would know the answer. :)

Mr Walleye

I've done the same thing for years. The only difference is I simply use plastic food wrap. I form the jerky mix into a large log and lay it lengthwise on a piece of plastic wrap. Roll the log in the plastic wrap and twist the ends in opposite directions. You continue to twist the ends until you have a nice round log and throw it in the freezer.

It works really well and it's both inexpensive plus there is no mess to clean up afterwards.

This reminds me I need to make jerky.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes