Your one best tip...

Started by luvthatsmoke, June 29, 2006, 07:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvthatsmoke

Just joined the Bradley smoking family.  After getting a defective Digital (only half of the digital panel worked), then a defective Original (the temperature control got hotter when pushed to lower and vice versa), finally got a 4 rack Original that seems to be working great.  If you were going to give your one, best tip to a smoking newbie, what would it be?  I mean REAL newbie.  Never owned a smoker before.  All advice gratefully accepted.

whitetailfan

Avoid the temptation to keep looking at your creation while it's cooking.  It's like trying not to wake up early on Christmas Day. ::)  Everyone goes through it, but opening the door will add at least another half hour to your cook time.  Open the door to change out or add water, rotate racks, and stick a digital meat probe in the meat on your last rack rotation.  Other than that, let the Bradley do its work.  You can still drink beer and watch the smoke come out...or watch the puck tube lower another puck...or look for ducks or pretty flowers...leave the smoker door closed.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Smokin Joe

Whitetail is dead on...don't open the door unless you have to.  One other thing, more is not necessarily better, so make sure not to try and cook with your vent completely closed...
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

begolf25

I would also highly recommend getting some Bubba Pucks, they will help save on bisquettes. Also, a digital meat thermometer such as a Maverick ET-73.  It will help take the guess work out of wondering when your food is done.  Good luck with your new Bradley!

Bryan

luvthatsmoke

QuoteI would also highly recommend getting some Bubba Pucks, they will help save on bisquettes

What are "Bubba Pucks"?  (Told you--newbie here)

boxertrio

get a Mav ET-73 (do a search) and a bigger drip pan....you should be good to go....bubba pucks are a must as stated above, gettem here http://www.chezbubba.com/
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Oldman

Umm my best advise. Well I've 56 and been smokin' foods since I was around 8-9. My best advise to you is this and only this. Use the recipes on our recipe site.  These are recipes that are time test and proven by the members here using the Bradley unit.

Later once you have a hundred smokes under your belt then branch out.

Make sure to read CURING and BRINING, From JJC

Make sure to read Food Poisoning and Food Hygiene, Part 1 From Paul Woods

Make sure to read Food Poisoning and Food Hygiene Part 2 From Paul Woods

Take your time and go over these three items. Do yourself and your family a favor and read these. Or your family may meet the outhouse gremlin...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

The best thing I have added to date is a TS love temp controller. Not expensive and easy to use.

jaeger

Welcome to the forum luv!
......the items mentioned are probably the most important.
Two things that I would also consider is a cart on wheels to give your Bradley some mobility. If it has a shelf you will use that as well.
The second thing is the book, Smoke and Spice , written by the Jamison's. You may want to check this book out.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: luvthatsmoke on June 29, 2006, 07:18:27 AM
If you were going to give your one, best tip to a smoking newbie, what would it be?  I mean REAL newbie.  Never owned a smoker before.  All advice gratefully accepted.

luvthatsmoke,

Welcome to the forum. My one tip would be to search this forum on any BS/smoking topic you have an interest in. In that case, you will find the vent answers, the water bowl answers, the "what is FTC" answer, the PID temperature controller answers, and a wide variety of receipes and smoking directions for just about anything that has been eaten.

Arcs_n_Sparks

luvthatsmoke

Thanks, everyone!  Keep these great tips coming!  We ordered the Maverick  ET-73 and some Bubba Pucks.  Can't find any instructions on how to use the pucks, not even on chezbubba site, so I hope there are instructions with it.  Read the food safety tips.  Ordered Bradley's cookbook but will look for the Jamison cookbook.  We recognized immediately that a cart on wheels would be a great thing to have.  Anybody find one that's just the right size?  Been reading on the forum about "PID," but haven't figured that all out yet.  Found "FTC" explanation and printed it out.  Also printed out some recipes from that forum.  Love how helpful you all are!

manxman

Hi luvthatsmoke and welcome to the forum,

Some really good advice given already, one tip I would give is to always start with the best quality produce (meat, fish, cheese or whatever) you can get hold of...... smoking cannot make poor quality stuff into good quality!

That does not mean you cannot buy cheap cuts of meat, the BS is great for cheaper cuts like brisket for example but try to buy good quality from a good source and remember, cooking "low and slow" is the way to go.

Enjoy your BS................ 
Manxman

Oldman

If you got 2 bubba pucks then place them last on top of your stack of pucks in the loader tube. Next place one wood puck on top of those two bubba pucks.

If you got 3 bubba pucks then place them last on top of your stack of pucks in the loader tube. You will not need to add a wood one on top of them.

What they do is insure that you don't waste pucks as they push the last one off of the hot plate. Plus they help burn off anything on the hot plate.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

luvthatsmoke

MallardWacker

WELCOME!!!

My two cents worth....Learn what FTC is.....Be patient and make a lot of friends.  Don't make yourself a stranger around here.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...