NOLA inspired Smoked Brisket Po' Boy

Started by KyNola, March 13, 2014, 07:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

If you have ever been to New Orleans you have probably had a Po' Boy.  This is my riff on that same sandwich using smoke beef brisket.  I slow smoked the brisket for 4.5 hours after having injected the brisket with beef stock and rubbed with Zach's Championship Brisket Rub.  After the smoke period I boated the brisket with approximately 1/4-1/2 cup of beef stock.  When it was done I had almost 3.5 cups of liquid in the boat.  After defatting the liquid I made a roux to thicken the liquid and make a gravy.  The gravy was experimental to me and it turned out delicious.  No added seasoning required.  I then sliced the brisket thin and rewarmed it in the gravy.  Placed the meat in the hoagie rolls and added a little additional gravy.  The result shown below is about a 3 napkin sandwich.  I was very happy with how this turned out.

Thanks for looking folks.

Wildcat

New Orleans is only about 3 to 3.5 hours from my house here in NW FL and I have been there a couple of dozen times (all before the hurricane), and I have yet to have a Po' Boy there. Always been tooooo many other Cajun dishes that distracted me.

Your Po'Boy looks awesome!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Saber 4

Looks fantastic Larry, you may need to duplicate that in September for BBQ on the River! :)

pensrock

Larry, I have never been able to get to NOLA or ever had an authentic Po'boy but I would hammer that sandwich of yours! Looks great!  :)

SiFumar

ragweed

Ka Honu

Dress it and "The KyNola" could easily become Mother's first new menu item in about 30 years. Give the Ferdi Special a run for the money.