First smoke with the NOBS

Started by Northern_Hunting_Mom, March 16, 2014, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Hunting_Mom

My first smoke with my new Bradley smoker and I decided to make pork side ribs. I made a dry rub as follows, I will have to adjust it, less salt and less pepper and chili powder. There was a bit too much heat and just a tinge too salty.

1 and half cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coarse salt
1 tsp onion powder
10 TBS paprika
1/2 TBS cumin
I TBS dry mustard
3 TBS smoked garlic seasoning
1/2 TBS black pepper
2 TBS celery salt
2 TBS chili powder

These ribs were not very thick, 5.5 hours total was perfect. 4.5 hours of smoke with the Special Blend Bisquettes and 1 hour with sauce. Half was smothered with Memphis style Pig's Ass BBQ sauce, a quarter with Cattle Boyz Original BBQ sauce (gluten and fat free) and a quarter with Carolina Style Rub Some Butt BBQ sauce (a mustard, vinegar and Spice mix).

A day just above freezing with a bit of a breeze (no way to get away from it in central Alberta). Temp took 1.5 hours to get above 155.

Pics to prove it was not unicorn roast.

Holy, it doesn't get much better!

Saber 4

Good looking ribs, after you get that rub adjusted you might also give Jan's Rub a try, I use it to make Texas style (no sauce) ribs and they come out moist, tender, juicy and full of flavor.

OldHickory

Good looking cook.  Your rub looks good too except for the sugar.  No sugar for me, I think it masks a good smoke taste in the meat, but that is just my opinion.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Northern_Hunting_Mom

One of the sauces I used was not as spicy. Part of my little mistakes was that I used sauces I never used before. Nevertheless, I will have to lower the hot spices since two people here cannot handle it.

The juices were running down our chins.

TNRockyraccoon

It will only get better from here! Welcome to the smoked madness.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Salmonsmoker

Yikes NSM, your ribs aren't cheap up there! Glad they turned out good.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.