Corned beef

Started by Thompsoncentre, March 30, 2014, 08:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on April 05, 2014, 04:46:14 AM
So I'm pulling it out today and putting the rub on and letting sit over night. So if the inside of the roast is still red that's fine correct?

Not necessarily! I used to think that if you cut into the meat and it is red, it was fully cured. That is not entirely correct. A few years ago I purchased Marianski's "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages". In that book they state the color from the cure does not set until the meat temperature reaches around 140°F.

You shouldn't be concerned, because six days is more than enough time for your cuts of meat to cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thompsoncentre

I have your rub recipe on now, there wrapped up in the fridge. Can't wait for tommarow!

Habanero Smoker

Great! Let us know how the pastrami turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Thompsoncentre

Just took out of the oven. Had a small taste before I wrapped in tin foil. Very tasty but very salty.
Be able to give a full taste review tommarow.

SiFumar

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on April 06, 2014, 01:14:09 PM
Just took out of the oven. Had a small taste before I wrapped in tin foil. Very tasty but very salty.
Be able to give a full taste review tommarow.

By oven you mean smoker?  I found once when I smoked and wrapped over night one was salty, but after steaming for a few hours the next day, cooling and re-wrapping came out perfect. 

Thompsoncentre

I smoked for 4-5 hours then finished in the oven. I'll be able to give a full review tonight when I get home from work

Thompsoncentre

Well all I have to say is wow!!! I can't believe I made it. INCREDIBLE!!!. Habanero if you don't mind, would you PM me your email address I would really like to send you a pic. I'm in the process of making a Ruben sandwich now!
Thanks again everyone. Couldn't of done it without you guys!

tailfeathers

I wanna see a picture too :'(
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Thompsoncentre

Haha well if you wanna give me your email I will send you them too. I just dont no how to post on here. I've tried before wouldn't work for me.

Habanero Smoker

You are welcome! Your Ruben sandwich sounds great. Glad to see everything turned out all right.

Was it close to the same flavor as your father's corned beef? Did the saltiness mellow out?

I would love to see your finished product. For my email you only need to click on the envelope icon that is just left of this messages.

To post pictures you need to have a host site such as photobucket, where you can link your photos from. I don't know if you have seen the below link to how to post photos. If you don't have a hosting site; it will take you through each step on how to setup a Photobucket account and post pictures on this forum. If you have a hosting site, then just skip down to the part that addresses the information you need.

How to Post Pictures

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

I wanna see also!  A well turned pastrami always turns my head and makes me salivate.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

tailfeathers

Wow that looks great. Another project for my to do list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!