Pacific Blend Bisquettes (What's in them?)

Started by Matusel3, April 02, 2014, 06:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matusel3

Does anyone have any idea what is in the pacific blend bisquettes?

I'm looking to make a few things that are Hawaiian inspired and I was trying to find mango or guava wood, are these pacific blend pucks more of a light cedar intended for salmon, or what?

Thanks everyone,

Matt

Habanero Smoker

I have a box somewhere, if I locate it I will see if the specific wood(s) are listed. I know it will not be mango or guava wood; I'm having enough problems trying to get them to make a peach wood bisquettes. :) I figure it is Alder mixed with at least another wood, but usually when they have a blend of woods they just list hardwoods in the ingredient list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Brody10902

I checked with the Bradley people. The Pacific blend is a combination of alder and maple.

waynerto

I know that I am necroposting, but Pacific and Maple?  Wonder why - doesn't Maple make you think of places like Quebec and Vermont?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: waynerto on July 21, 2020, 12:50:18 PM
...... Wonder why - doesn't Maple make you think of places like Quebec and Vermont?

And/or New York.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

waynerto

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 21, 2020, 01:01:42 PM
Quote from: waynerto on July 21, 2020, 12:50:18 PM
...... Wonder why - doesn't Maple make you think of places like Quebec and Vermont?

And/or New York.  :)
Also nowhere near the Pacific!

Orion

British Columbia (on the Pacific Ocean) has vast forests of maple and alder.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

stratachalup

We are new to the Bradley smoker, and got the Bradley cookbook. My husband really wants to try a salmon recipe that calls for Pacific Blend bisquettes, but I am suspecting they have been discontinued because I don't find anything to buy on the Bradley site. Just a lot of recipes that use them!

Earlier in this discussion, someone said it was a blend of alder and maple. I have one of the sample packs that has both of those woods. Should I alternate between them during the smoking period, or do a few hours with one and then the other?  Do you know if it was a 50/50 blend or if it predominated with either of them?

Thanks for any advice!

Habanero Smoker

I've never used the Pacific Blend, though I believe I have a box of those bisquettes. For salmon, and most other fish, I generally used maple, and it works very well. For salmon and other fish, I've never applied more than a couple of hours of smoke.

If you want to experiment, you could alterneat between the bisquettes. Or you can start with Alder, and finish with Maple. Or try both methods, if you have enough salmon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.